Jarlsburg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I learned when I moved to the midwest, there are many, many great locally made cheeses in the USA, and American cheese gets a bad rap because everyone thinks of some of the mass produced cheese. My husband and I a few times a year take road trips through the area and find these places and load up on all kinds. I can't say I've found an "American Jarlesberg" cheese yet, but some products you can't call that unless that's where it is made. I have, however, found so many American Swiss, parms, asiago, more blues than you can count, and some unique ones. If you ever come to my part of the midwest, look up small, local cheese factories and help us keep them in business.

As I learned when I moved to the midwest, there are many, many great locally made cheeses in the USA, and American cheese gets a bad rap because everyone thinks of some of the mass produced cheese. My husband and I a few times a year take road trips through the area and find these places and load up on all kinds. I can't say I've found an "American Jarlesberg" cheese yet, but some products you can't call that unless that's where it is made. I have, however, found so many American Swiss, parms, asiago, more blues than you can count, and some unique ones. If you ever come to my part of the midwest, look up small, local cheese factories and help us keep them in business.

You are so right Claire. Goat farmers are on the rise. And more of their cheeses are showing up in supermarkets and specialty stores. :yum:

I see Costco has Jarlsberg Lite Sliced on sale for $2.50 off per their flier. Is it as good as the regular full fat? It has the same label, only in blue.

It's not as good as the full fat, but darned good for a light cheese. It is drier in texture and not quite as flavorful.

Good to know.

We now have a Costco within a 45 minute drive! Yay!

Back
Top Bottom