"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmar
My dad taught me milk with omelettes, water with scrambled eggs.
How funny - I learned the exact opposite!

BC

Old 05-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, both water and milk have their place in scrambled eggs, though not at the same time. Milk or cream make the scrambled eggs creamier while water makes them fluffier.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #23
Contest Winner

Another tip is that one should remove the scrambled eggs from the heat (and the pan) before they look 100% done. It's because they continue to cook, even when removed from the heat source, and will turn to rubber FAST if overcooked.

I usually remove mine when they are still a tiny bit runny/shiny still. I put them on the plate and by the time I sit down for breakfast they are cooked to perfection.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Gretchen - If your eggs are watery then you have over cooked them and the protein is beginning to break down. That is why you remove them just before they look done.

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #25
Master Chef

Except for seasoning additions - like grated cheese, etc. - I just melt an obscene amount of butter in a non-stick pan & scramble the eggs in just that. I've tried water, milk, & heavy cream & didn't like any of them, nor did I find they added anything to the taste or texture of the eggs.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Are you supposed to add anything when you use eggbeaters?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Diane, I don't use milk so mine are not watery. Some I have had were. I like eggs very soft so you can be sure they are out in good time. But you don't have to worry about it at all if you don't use milk. Cream is an entirely different additive. It can make them very delicious, of course.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Actually, I have to agree with you. That's why I quit adding milk, come to think of it. It has been so long I forgot I tried milk and didn't like it. I will have to try cream.
I can't eat eggs but my hubby loves the way I cook and wants them often, I will have to try it.

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #29
Master Chef

To furth enhance the texture of your scrambled eggs, run them through a fine mesh sieve to remove the stringy threads often found in raw, beaten eggs. They come out even more tender.

And yes, cooking them in butter adds a rich and creamy flavor to the eggs. Cooking them in a neutral oil makes them a bit fluffier. I would suspect that the extra fat and protiens from milk, cream, and butter affect both the flavor and texture of the egg, while water simply expands the protien structure as it steams and expands, to make them fluffier.

Try adding chorizo (the mexican style, not the Spanish style) for a great flavor.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
Are you supposed to add anything when you use eggbeaters?

You can scramble them or make an omlet as is. No need to add milk, water, etc.

Tags
None