Learned something about scrambled eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, both water and milk have their place in scrambled eggs, though not at the same time. Milk or cream make the scrambled eggs creamier while water makes them fluffier.

Another tip is that one should remove the scrambled eggs from the heat (and the pan) before they look 100% done. It's because they continue to cook, even when removed from the heat source, and will turn to rubber FAST if overcooked.

I usually remove mine when they are still a tiny bit runny/shiny still. I put them on the plate and by the time I sit down for breakfast they are cooked to perfection.

Except for seasoning additions - like grated cheese, etc. - I just melt an obscene amount of butter in a non-stick pan & scramble the eggs in just that. I've tried water, milk, & heavy cream & didn't like any of them, nor did I find they added anything to the taste or texture of the eggs.

Diane, I don't use milk so mine are not watery. Some I have had were. I like eggs very soft so you can be sure they are out in good time. But you don't have to worry about it at all if you don't use milk. Cream is an entirely different additive. It can make them very delicious, of course.

Actually, I have to agree with you. That's why I quit adding milk, come to think of it. It has been so long I forgot I tried milk and didn't like it. I will have to try cream.
I can't eat eggs but my hubby loves the way I cook and wants them often, I will have to try it.

To furth enhance the texture of your scrambled eggs, run them through a fine mesh sieve to remove the stringy threads often found in raw, beaten eggs. They come out even more tender.

And yes, cooking them in butter adds a rich and creamy flavor to the eggs. Cooking them in a neutral oil makes them a bit fluffier. I would suspect that the extra fat and protiens from milk, cream, and butter affect both the flavor and texture of the egg, while water simply expands the protien structure as it steams and expands, to make them fluffier.

Try adding chorizo (the mexican style, not the Spanish style) for a great flavor.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

And for those of you who are vegetarian, I can recommend Frieda's brand "Soyrizo", which is a very spicy soy-based chorizo sausage substitute. I often mix into scrambled eggs, along with some cheddar for a breakfast or supper.

scrambled eggs

If I have it I add some heavy cream i think the eggs come out nice and creamy and i like them on the wet side however DH likes them dry and without anything added
Joyce

Andy M. said:
You can scramble them or make an omlet as is. No need to add milk, water, etc.
You're right, I just looked on the ingredients and there's already water in there. No wonder they say 1/4 cup equals one egg wight. I always think, "well there's the biggest egg white I've ever seen!"

One of the first things we learned at the Classic Essentials cooking classes I took was to make omelettes. We used no water or milk or any other additives (except shredded Gruyere and herbs right before folding). The consistency of a classic omelette comes from cooking technique, not from adding anything to the whisked eggs. I thought I knew how to make an omelette before I took the class, but all I was doing was making scrambled eggs folded over some kind of filling. :rolleyes:

I am going to try using water today instead of milk. I had planned to make eggs and bacon for dinner tonight. I am always looking to improve my eggs because they are not that good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom