Leftover Buttermilk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katdono

Assistant Cook
I made a recipe with buttermilk last night and have quite a bit left. What are some good recipes to help me use that up?

Pancakes, biscuits, cornbread. These are the first things that come to mind for me.

As for using it up, buttermilk keeps for a very, very long time. If you wanted, you could freeze it in one cup amounts, which is often the quantity called for in a recipe.

Pancakes Waffles muffins, biscuits corn bread. Like Katie said.

You can make a stack of waffles and freeze. Reheat in the toaster or oven.

Buttermilk freezes well. Pour out in measurement sizes you are likely to use. Once frozen, put the blocks in a freezer bag and take out as needed. There. Done.

I'm with Katie, freeze it in recipe sized containers!

Also try making your own buttermilk substitute in the future.

Put 1 T white vinegar, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice in a glass measuring cup and fill to the 1 cup mark with milk. Wait 5 minutes and use in any recipe calling for a cup of buttermilk.

This is what I do because I never remember to purchase buttermilk.

I'm with Katie, freeze it in recipe sized containers!

Also try making your own buttermilk substitute in the future.

Put 1 T white vinegar, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice in a glass measuring cup and fill to the 1 cup mark with milk. Wait 5 minutes and use in any recipe calling for a cup of buttermilk.

This is what I do because I never remember to purchase buttermilk.
That's what I usually do too. I am unwilling to pay as much as they charge for cultured buttermilk. If I know I will need some, I might culture some milk with small dollop of sour cream or quark (the unheated kind).

When I remember to buy or I will use the vinegar trick, If I have any purchased milk left I freeze it in 1 cup portions, I use a ziplock freezer bag so I can lay them flat in the freezer till frozen then I can put then in the door shelf of the freezer for easy storing. It works out great.

I normally use mine to make certain breads like biscuits and cornbread. And sometimes by the time it runs out I've normally only got about 1/2 cup left in the jug. But then again I make biscuits pretty often in this household :)

Never thought about freezing buttermilk! Does it lose any of it's consistency when it's frozen?!

My late father's favorite was Southern milkshake. Cornbread crumbled in Buttermilk. It's not bad if you like buttermilk.

My parents use to ♥ Cornbread in Buttermilk... I've never been able to force myself to taste buttermilk by it's self, just smells weird to me. But I'll definitely do some cornbread & milk for a late night snack.

Sites for making your own ricotta, and cottage cheese using buttermilk for the starter is here - How to Make Cottage Cheese - Real Food - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Cheesemaking Help, News and Information: Shannon Olson - Making Buttermilk Cheese & More in North Dakota

Home made Ricotta cheese with buttermilk - YouTube

Farmer's Cheese - Homemade Farmer's Cheese (Tvorog) - YelenaSweets

Now go, grasshoppah, expand your culinary adventures beyond buttermilk biscuits and pancakes (not that those aren't worth making :yum:).

Seeeeee; Chief Longwind of the North

Jessica just stir it a little once it thaws. Use like usual in a cooked dish. I've never used it once frozen like in a buttermilk ranch dressing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom