Leftover cheese rinds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
What do you all do with your cheese rinds. The harder outside parts of aged cheese. I regularly get parm rinds that I dice small and use in my Mac n Cheese for some chewy but that is about it. Any ideas? I just bought some other hard cheeses and it got me thinking.

What do you all do with your cheese rinds. The harder outside parts of aged cheese. I regularly get parm rinds that I dice small and use in my Mac n Cheese for some chewy but that is about it. Any ideas? I just bought some other hard cheeses and it got me thinking.

Put them whole in your pasta sauce. Great way to use them. :angel:

Slow cook sauce? Do they melt? Do you grate them? Dice em?

Yes. Slow cooked. And just put the whole rind in. What cheese is left will melt off. After the sauce is done, remove what is left and throw away. All the flavor has been cooked out of it. Don't grind ir or anything else. Just toss it. :angel:

Throw the rinds into a pot of soup! They never completely dissolve but they add tons of flavor. I purchase them whenever I can find them at grocery stores and save up my own in the freezer. They're especially great in minestrone, white bean or pasta e fagioli.

Throw the rinds into a pot of soup! They never completely dissolve but they add tons of flavor. I purchase them whenever I can find them at grocery stores and save up my own in the freezer. They're especially great in minestrone, white bean or pasta e fagioli.

Oh yes. I forgot about them. How silly of me. My daughter does it all the time. In fact I just gave her mine that still had some grating left on it. She will grate off what she can and toss the rind into a pot of pasta e fagioli. One of my favorites that she makes. I have some good eating coming this week. :angel:

<sigh> Mine go to the dog. He's become so accustomed to it that he won't eat until there's a bit of cheese grated into his food. Grated rinds are okay, but not just any cheese. It has to be expensive. Grana Padono preferred.

<sigh> Mine go to the dog. He's become so accustomed to it that he won't eat until there's a bit of cheese grated into his food. Grated rinds are okay, but not just any cheese. It has to be expensive. Grana Padono preferred.
Gourmet dog. :LOL:

It's true. He once went two days without eating, before he got his imported Parmesan topping. And it's really good dog food, not cheap junk.

(It's a perverse universe where a dog demands imported cheese on his dog food but can't be trusted to leave a cat box alone.)

It's true. He once went two days without eating, before he got his imported Parmesan topping. And it's really good dog food, not cheap junk.

(It's a perverse universe where a dog demands imported cheese on his dog food but can't be trusted to leave a cat box alone.)
That's what I was thinking too. :LOL: I had a Siberian husky like that, okay, it wasn't imported cheese, but darned picky about what kind of dog food.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that dairy products (cheese included) are not good for dogs. Aloong with chocolate. :angel:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that dairy products (cheese included) are not good for dogs. Aloong with chocolate. :angel:

Cheese, OK. Chocolate, a definite no.

I know the dogs and chocolate rule is correct, but, my SIL had a husky that lived for about 15 years. He cooked a meal every day for the dog, even freezing meals ahead for when he was away. Dessert every night was a small bag of M&Ms. Something the dog looked forward to eagerly.

I know the dogs and chocolate rule is correct, but, my SIL had a husky that lived for about 15 years. He cooked a meal every day for the dog, even freezing meals ahead for when he was away. Dessert every night was a small bag of M&Ms. Something the dog looked forward to eagerly.

Yeah, they do love chocolate! It inhibits something in their blood, and little dogs can die from it. Big dogs may or may not get sick. Not worth the risk. Dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate.

Last edited:
Well, my dog is in no chocolate danger. Cheese is one thing, but he's not getting any of my chocolate. He can do sad doggy eyes all he wants. (He's really not a begger. He just has a way of sitting completely still and staring into space when his dinner is late.)

Cheese, OK. Chocolate, a definite no.

I knew there was something about cheese and dogs. Spike reminded me what it is. It is okay for them, they just don't produce the enzymes to digest it. Teddy loves cheddar cheese, but Spike will not feed it to him for that reason. Teddy is too small to handle it. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom