"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
Head Chef

I just use a wide shallow pan with just barely simmering water, crack the egg into a dish, and slide it down into the water very slowly. Doesn't make much of a mess at all since there's really not much water movement.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
1. For six times a year, use a pan and clean it.

2. There is no carcinogen risk with teflon pans. The danger is in the manufacturing process not the finished product. Use another kind of pan if you are that concerned.
1. The other methods look easier.

2. I'm not that concerned.

The US Environmental Protection Agency has identified a cancer-causing chemical used in the production of Teflon, called PFOA's. Concerns were raised by some about PFOA's getting into your system while cooking with a product manufactured using it. Similar type concerns have been raised with regards to cling wrap.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post

The US Environmental Protection Agency has identified a cancer-causing chemical used in the production of Teflon, called PFOA's. Concerns were raised by some about PFOA's getting into your system while cooking with a product manufactured using it. Similar type concerns have been raised with regards to cling wrap.

There is no residual PFOA in Teflon pans. There is in pizza boxes and other packaging the has been treated to be grease resistant.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #14
Master Chef

Locally sourced organic plastic wrap !!

April Fools!!!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #15
Master Chef

A little bit of eggy water in a custard cup is a no big deal thing to wash. The directions for the microwave has worked perfectly hundreds of times for me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #16
Head Chef

I inferred that carcigens connected to a cooking product, in any way, get unsubstantiated bad publicity, same with the chemicals connected with cling wraps. Nothing's actually been proven with regards to those concerns.

Dupont is about the only company still using PFOA's in manufacturing process. Most companies of non-stick pans have ceased the use of PFOA's in the production process only because of the use of a carcinogen from an environmental point of view , not unsubstantiated claims about it leeching out in some manner.

Some people won't stay at their house after a carpet job, until the plastics "gas out" of the carpet. Similar thing. Nothing proven, but boy, new carpet smells carcinogen plastic strong for awhile.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Less messy way to poach an egg (less cleanup)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
A little bit of eggy water in a custard cup is a no big deal thing to wash. The directions for the microwave has worked perfectly hundreds of times for me.

I really, really, really want to try your method right now, Kay, except it's late, and we've already had dinner.

Guess what DH gets for lunch tomorrow? He gets to be experimented on!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:41 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks. I usually boil water in a small and tall Revereware sauce pan, but the foaming egg whites made clean up a chore. The heat from the pan caused the white foam to almost bake onto the inside parts of the sauce pan, above the water level, even tho I add vinegar to prevent it.

In that video I posted, they have to wrap up and tie the egg and then afterwards, carefully cut it open, hehe.

The way you do it...I'm sold.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Thanks. I usually boil water in a small and tall Revereware sauce pan, but the foaming egg whites made clean up a chore. The heat from the pan caused the white foam to almost bake onto the inside parts of the sauce pan, above the water level, even tho I add vinegar to prevent it.

In that video I posted, notice how carefully they have to wrap up and tie the egg and then afterwards, carefully cut it open, hehe.

The way you do it...I'm sold.
You should not be boiling a poached egg. You should be poaching it. That means the water should be hot but not moving. The egg white shouldn't be disturbed and turned into foam.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You should not be boiling a poached egg. You should be poaching it. That means the water should be hot but not moving. The egg white shouldn't be disturbed and turned into foam.

Good point, GG.

Tags
egg, recipe

Less messy way to poach an egg (less cleanup) I like a poached egg on my corned beef hash. My usual method is to boil some water in a pot, add a splash of vinegar, then break the egg into the water, then use a slotted spoon to retrieve the egg, then afterwards, wash out the pot and slotted spoon of messy egg white residue. I came upon this method which requires less cleanup. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to. :chef: [youtube]9jUZax1lCok[/youtube] 3 stars 1 reviews