"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #41
Master Chef

I tried this again today and swapped out the little Pyrex custard cup, pictured in the video, for a Pyrex measuring cup. It made it much easier for me to maneuver the dish of hot water out of the microwave and also made it easier to slide the egg onto a slotted spoon to drain. A teacup would probably work just as well.

Next I want to see if I can swap out the water for some spicy tomato sauce to make a quick version of Steve's Shakshouka recipe.

It doesn't take much to amuse me!

Old 04-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I tried this again today and swapped out the little Pyrex custard cup, pictured in the video, for a Pyrex measuring cup. It made it much easier for me to maneuver the dish of hot water out of the microwave and also made it easier to slide the egg onto a slotted spoon to drain. A teacup would probably work just as well.

Next I want to see if I can swap out the water for some spicy tomato sauce to make a quick version of Steve's Shakshouka recipe.

It doesn't take much to amuse me!
Brilliant suggestion Bea! The diameter of the 1 cup Pyrex measuring cup is the same as a custard cup, and you can just fill it with a half cup water. Pouring the contents into a slotted spoon is a better idea too.
Hmmm, you should make your own video! You too should be a star!
Please report about the Shakshouka idea.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Brilliant suggestion Bea! The diameter of the 1 cup Pyrex measuring cup is the same as a custard cup, and you can just fill it with a half cup water. Pouring the contents into a slotted spoon is a better idea too.
Hmmm, you should make your own video! You too should be a star!
I'm ready for my close-up!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #44
Master Chef

Old 04-11-2016, 06:42 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
My effort at making microwave Shakshouka was not a rousing success!

I think the thickness of the sauce was the problem. I buried the raw egg in the 1/2 cup of sauce and microwaved it for a minute, towards the end I heard a couple of pops and was concerned that I would need to do a major cleaning of the microwave. I was relieved to find that the egg did not explode or spatter. The egg was not cooked so I gave it a careful stir and another 30 seconds in the microwave, it was fine.

In the future I think I will heat the sauce or salsa in a separate container, poach the egg using the TNT microwave method and combine them on the plate with a sprinkle of grated cheese.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:20 AM   #46
Head Chef

I got mixed results using Kayelle's method. I have the Pyrex dish he uses. I poured the egg in slowly so as not to let the egg yolk settle on the bottom, and microwaved it, covered in cling wrap. What I ended up with was a flat round of egg white at the bottom of the Pyrex dish with the egg yolk looking like it's a sunny side up egg.

I know a poached egg is different from a soft boiled egg, but they have similar qualities of texture. I'm trying to get a poached egg method result to somewhat resemble a soft boiled egg. The video I posted and have not tried seems to resemble what I'm going for. An egg that cooks up the done-ness that resembles a soft boiled egg, without having to go thru having to boil and peel it.

P.S. The eggs were labeled as large but the yolks were very small.

I might try the method I posted originally, only...I'll probably want to net order organic cling wrap, hehe.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #47
Master Chef

Caslon,

Have you considered an egg coddler?

It will still mean washing a dish and it is not as fast as the microwave method but it will give you the result you are looking for. I have one similar to this that I picked up at the thrift store, I use it a couple time a year.

You can also use an eight ounce canning jar.

Here is a link with more information and a couple of recipes.

Egg Coddler Recipes, Cooking and Handling Tips

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I like a poached egg on my corned beef hash. My usual method is to boil some water in a pot, add a splash of vinegar, then break the egg into the water, then use a slotted spoon to retrieve the egg, then afterwards, wash out the pot and slotted spoon of messy egg white residue. I came upon this method which requires less cleanup. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
I have never had any success with poached eggs. None of the "totally foolproof" methods advised by friends and cookery books and TV chefs ever work for me. Even special tuition from a cousin who is the head chef at a British Embassy, in a place that will remain nameless, hasn't been able to teach me to get it right! A pity, because I love poached egg on toast and eggs benedict.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #49
Master Chef

Tree words - Egg Poaching Pan. Makes the finest poached eggs on the planet. You butter the cold poaching inserts, add egg, cover. Bring pan with water to a boil and let the steam perfectly cook your egg, with all that butter, and whatever seasonings you choose. Perfect for eggs benedict, devilied eggs, on top of toast, or if your young enough and your mouth is big enough, you take that poached egg, with runny yolk, pop the whole egg into your mouth and be ready for a flavor explosion. Yum.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I got mixed results using Kayelle's method. I have the Pyrex dish he uses. I poured the egg in slowly so as not to let the egg yolk settle on the bottom, and microwaved it, covered in cling wrap. What I ended up with was a flat round of egg white at the bottom of the Pyrex dish with the egg yolk looking like it's a sunny side up egg.
Caslon, wondering why you covered the dish in cling wrap? Nobody else who's been successful has used cling wrap, and that wasn't suggested in the video. Was the yolk covered in water?

Tags
egg, recipe

Less messy way to poach an egg (less cleanup) I like a poached egg on my corned beef hash. My usual method is to boil some water in a pot, add a splash of vinegar, then break the egg into the water, then use a slotted spoon to retrieve the egg, then afterwards, wash out the pot and slotted spoon of messy egg white residue. I came upon this method which requires less cleanup. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to. :chef: [youtube]9jUZax1lCok[/youtube] 3 stars 1 reviews