"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #81
Master Chef

The rimmed sheet pan could hold the 12 TBS of water. Seems better than digging out twelve eggs out of the cups.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Less messy way to poach an egg (less cleanup)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Caslon, I've been using this method for years when I heard it here first.

I tried this for lunch, and it worked nicely! I didn't have a small clear glass microwave-safe cooking bowl, so I used the sugar bowl that came with my stoneware dish set. I'd probably go the additional 5 seconds, as the yolk was super runny, but otherwise, a perfect poached egg!

Thanks again, Kay!

Old 05-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #83
Master Chef

You're so welcome Dawg. Glad it worked out for you too! Next time you might want to adopt Bea's brilliant idea like I have.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I tried this again today and swapped out the little Pyrex custard cup, pictured in the video, for a Pyrex measuring cup. It made it much easier for me to maneuver the dish of hot water out of the microwave and also made it easier to slide the egg onto a slotted spoon to drain. A teacup would probably work just as well.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Another great idea! However, I finally found a use for my sugar bowl, which I haven't used for 25 years since I got the dish set. It's exactly 4.5 inches wide, and I think it will be my dedicated egg-poacher bowl! Nice to finally find a use for it!
Old 05-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #85
Master Chef

I've gone from poaching to scrambling.

Beat the egg with a fork, nuke 20 seconds and stir, nuke 10 seconds, stir and eat. Double the time for two eggs.

I've had a microwave since the 70's and I'm just now learning how to use if for something other than reheating cold coffee!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I nuked a scrambled egg from memory (bad idea) in a coffee cup a while ago. I forgot to add water or something, and it didn't end well. Will have to try your method, AB.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #87
Head Chef

Scrambled eggs microwaved? I use a Pyrex measuring cup and spritz some Pam in it for easier cleanup. Adding a small pat of butter makes them fluffier. I toss in some chopped frozen chives. I zap it for 15 seconds at a time and stir with the last zap being less than 10 seconds so as not to end up with foam rubber. The eggs will continue to cook in the Pyrex after nuking, so I stop when the eggs are still a bit moist. Before hand, I zap some bacon and have 1 piece of bread in the toaster. A glass of orange juice and it's a quick convenient light breakfast (using one egg).
Old 05-08-2016, 12:28 AM   #88
Master Chef

I tried the nuking and stirring method of 'scrambled' eggs a few times many years ago, and never did like how they came out. There always seemed to be overdone/underdone spots - they just weren't consistent.

I just use my favorite little 8" Teflon skillet for one or two eggs, and gently scramble them in a little butter until they're set but still 'shiny'. I like to be able to see when they're at the doneness I like and I can't do that if they're nuked. I'm really picky about scrambled eggs.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:41 AM   #89
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I tried the nuking and stirring method of 'scrambled' eggs a few times many years ago, and never did like how they came out. There always seemed to be overdone/underdone spots - they just weren't consistent.
Yes, they tend to do that. I try and break up the done parts of the egg during nuking by breaking them up with a fork the best I can. I minimize the overdone parts somewhat by nuking them in short spurts, as many as 5 times, breaking up the done parts and incorporating them into the undone portion. Someone should invent a microwave cooking gadget that keeps this from happening.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:46 AM   #90
Master Chef

Advanced nuked scrambled eggs is out of my comfort zone. Way too complicated.

Tags
egg, recipe

Less messy way to poach an egg (less cleanup) I like a poached egg on my corned beef hash. My usual method is to boil some water in a pot, add a splash of vinegar, then break the egg into the water, then use a slotted spoon to retrieve the egg, then afterwards, wash out the pot and slotted spoon of messy egg white residue. I came upon this method which requires less cleanup. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to. :chef: [youtube]9jUZax1lCok[/youtube] 3 stars 1 reviews