Less messy way to poach an egg (less cleanup)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I like a poached egg on my corned beef hash. My usual method is to boil some water in a pot, add a splash of vinegar, then break the egg into the water, then use a slotted spoon to retrieve the egg, then afterwards, wash out the pot and slotted spoon of messy egg white residue. I came upon this method which requires less cleanup. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to. :chef:

[youtube]9jUZax1lCok[/youtube]

Last edited:
That's a clever method. I usually use a Teflon skillet to poach eggs. Cleanup isn't much of an issue.

You have to be careful what plastic wrap you use as most are not recommended for boiling in contact with foods because of the presence of carcinogens.

Last edited:
Whoa, Kay! This sounds perfect! Thanks!

Your video looks cool too, Caslon!

Last edited:
I agree with Andy, the plastic wrap makes me nervous.

I would go with Kayelle's method and wash the dish.

What's one more dish in the grand scheme of things. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I agree with Andy, the plastic wrap makes me nervous.

I would go with Kayelle's method and wash the dish.

What's one more dish in the grand scheme of things. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

+1. I don't cook in plastic, either.

Kayelle, thanks for posting that! I haven't seen that method before. Love it :)

I may go ahead and net order some organic cling wrap, altho the FDA says a hard NO to regular cling wrap boiled (3 min) being harmful. Also, there are two kinds of plastic wrap with regards to the chemicals used. One is commercial wrap and the other is supermarket brand cling wraps. The supermarket brands uses a less toxic chemical in their cling wrap brands. I poach an egg maybe 6 times a year, I'm thinking that's hardly enough to lead to cancer using supermarket cling wrap. This controversy almost resembles the risk of cooking with Teflon pans with their PTFE's or whatever. Altho...better safe than sorry, I suppose.

I'm gonna try Kayelle's method too.

Last edited:
I may go ahead and net order some organic cling wrap, altho the FDA says a hard NO to regular cling wrap boiled (3 min) being harmful. Also, there are two kinds of plastic wrap with regards to the chemicals used. One is commercial wrap and the other is supermarket wrap. The supermarket brands uses a less toxic chemical in their cling wrap brands. I poach an egg maybe 6 times a year, I'm thinking that's hardly enough to lead to cancer using supermarket cling wrap. This controversy almost resembles the risk of cooking with Teflon pans with their PTFE's or whatever.

I guess I'm always the Devil's advocate, I would wash six dishes a year rather than risk it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

...I poach an egg maybe 6 times a year, I'm thinking that's hardly enough to lead to cancer using supermarket cling wrap. This controversy almost resembles the risk of cooking with Teflon pans with their PTFE's or whatever. Altho...better safe than sorry, I suppose.

I'm gonna try Kayelle's method too.

1. For six times a year, use a pan and clean it.

2. There is no carcinogen risk with teflon pans. The danger is in the manufacturing process not the finished product. Use another kind of pan if you are that concerned.

I just use a wide shallow pan with just barely simmering water, crack the egg into a dish, and slide it down into the water very slowly. Doesn't make much of a mess at all since there's really not much water movement.

1. For six times a year, use a pan and clean it.

2. There is no carcinogen risk with teflon pans. The danger is in the manufacturing process not the finished product. Use another kind of pan if you are that concerned.

1. The other methods look easier.

2. I'm not that concerned.

The US Environmental Protection Agency has identified a cancer-causing chemical used in the production of Teflon, called PFOA's. Concerns were raised by some about PFOA's getting into your system while cooking with a product manufactured using it. Similar type concerns have been raised with regards to cling wrap.

The US Environmental Protection Agency has identified a cancer-causing chemical used in the production of Teflon, called PFOA's. Concerns were raised by some about PFOA's getting into your system while cooking with a product manufactured using it. Similar type concerns have been raised with regards to cling wrap.

There is no residual PFOA in Teflon pans. There is in pizza boxes and other packaging the has been treated to be grease resistant.

A little bit of eggy water in a custard cup is a no big deal thing to wash. The directions for the microwave has worked perfectly hundreds of times for me.

Last edited:
I inferred that carcigens connected to a cooking product, in any way, get unsubstantiated bad publicity, same with the chemicals connected with cling wraps. Nothing's actually been proven with regards to those concerns.

Dupont is about the only company still using PFOA's in manufacturing process. Most companies of non-stick pans have ceased the use of PFOA's in the production process only because of the use of a carcinogen from an environmental point of view , not unsubstantiated claims about it leeching out in some manner.

Some people won't stay at their house after a carpet job, until the plastics "gas out" of the carpet. Similar thing. Nothing proven, but boy, new carpet smells carcinogen plastic strong for awhile. :LOL:

Last edited:
A little bit of eggy water in a custard cup is a no big deal thing to wash. The directions for the microwave has worked perfectly hundreds of times for me.

I really, really, really want to try your method right now, Kay, except it's late, and we've already had dinner.

Guess what DH gets for lunch tomorrow? He gets to be experimented on!

Last edited:

Thanks. I usually boil water in a small and tall Revereware sauce pan, but the foaming egg whites made clean up a chore. The heat from the pan caused the white foam to almost bake onto the inside parts of the sauce pan, above the water level, even tho I add vinegar to prevent it.

In that video I posted, they have to wrap up and tie the egg and then afterwards, carefully cut it open, hehe.

The way you do it...I'm sold.

Last edited:
Thanks. I usually boil water in a small and tall Revereware sauce pan, but the foaming egg whites made clean up a chore. The heat from the pan caused the white foam to almost bake onto the inside parts of the sauce pan, above the water level, even tho I add vinegar to prevent it.

In that video I posted, notice how carefully they have to wrap up and tie the egg and then afterwards, carefully cut it open, hehe.

The way you do it...I'm sold.

You should not be boiling a poached egg. You should be poaching it. That means the water should be hot but not moving. The egg white shouldn't be disturbed and turned into foam.

You should not be boiling a poached egg. You should be poaching it. That means the water should be hot but not moving. The egg white shouldn't be disturbed and turned into foam.

Good point, GG.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom