"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Liptauer Schmierkase

I have given up my hunt to find Pimento Cheese. It just doesn't exist up here for some reason. So...I decided I would make my own.

Then Mrs Dawg asked why I didn't make my Oma's schmierkase, which she loves on Pumpernickle rye. Off to get the ingredients this afternoon and if anyone is curious, here is my Oma's recipe. This is the Austrian version.

Cream together in a bowl until well blended;
  • 8 oz. of Lipto cheese (if you can't find Lipto you can substitute 8 oz. cream cheese or any soft cheese)
  • 1/2 cup soft butter
  • 3 Tbs. thick sour cream
  • Mash 2 anchovy fillets
  • 1 tsp. capers
  • 1 Tbs. finely chopped onion
  • 1 Tbs. prepared mustard
  • 1 1/2 teas. Paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. Caraway seeds smashed.
  • 1/2 teas. salt
Shape into a smooth mound, cover and let flavors mingle in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Garnish with chopped parsley on a plate.
Goes well with beer.
Serve with Pumpernickle or Rye bread.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Now that sounds really good!
Thanks!

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That sounds yummy. I have copied and pasted it. I betcha that would work well with quark instead of the Lipto or cream cheese.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That sounds yummy. I have copied and pasted it. I betcha that would work well with quark instead of the Lipto or cream cheese.
Quark works great. Lipto isn't available in the village in Germany where my wife is from so we often used Quark.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Love Schmierkase! I have several recipes for it, but none with anchovies! Thanks. And, I think I'd prefer Quark instead of cream cheese. When I lived in Quebec City, we used to blend equal parts of blue cheese and quark, a bit of paprika and green onion tops to make a spread.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Love Schmierkase! I have several recipes for it, but none with anchovies! Thanks. And, I think I'd prefer Quark instead of cream cheese. When I lived in Quebec City, we used to blend equal parts of blue cheese and quark, a bit of paprika and green onion tops to make a spread.
Gonna have to try blue cheese and quark. That should take away the harshness of the blue cheese and leave the flavour.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef

and here I thought quark was a subatomic particle.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Senior Cook

What is quark?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Sous Chef

It's kind of a very soft cheese curd similar to cream cheese. When I lived in Germany we could get 20% and 40% quark depending what you were making. Normally 20% was for recipes like Rahm Schnitzel (Cream sauce) and 40% was for cheesecake or other baking.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quark is a fermented milk product. It can have the consistency of cream cheese. I usually make it a bit more spreadable than cream cheese.

It can often be bought in health food stores, but I make it at home. Here's my instructions for making it: ISO additions to cream cheese or quark

Of course, all tools and containers should be extra clean and it's a good idea to scald them. If you scald the milk, make sure it cools off to max 60C (108F), but preferably slightly less, so it won't kill the micro-organisms.

I just tried using a slightly different method. I didn't heat the quark after it had clabbered. I just drained it a lot longer. Seemed to make a bit more and smoother texture. Be sure to save the whey. It's better to let the quark drain to a little too dry. You can stir in, a little bit at a time, some of that whey to make it the right consistency. A little bit of salt really perks up the flavour of the quark.

I have been told that the whey is good in pancakes and bread.

Tags
recipe

Liptauer Schmierkase I have given up my hunt to find Pimento Cheese. It just doesn't exist up here for some reason. So...I decided I would make my own. Then Mrs Dawg asked why I didn't make my Oma's schmierkase, which she loves on Pumpernickle rye. Off to get the ingredients this afternoon and if anyone is curious, here is my Oma's recipe. This is the Austrian version. Cream together in a bowl until well blended; [LIST] [*]8 oz. of Lipto cheese (if you can't find Lipto you can substitute 8 oz. cream cheese or any soft cheese) [*]1/2 cup soft butter [*]3 Tbs. thick sour cream [*]Mash 2 anchovy fillets [*]1 tsp. capers [*]1 Tbs. finely chopped onion [*]1 Tbs. prepared mustard [*]1 1/2 teas. Paprika [*]1/2 tsp. Caraway seeds smashed. [*]1/2 teas. salt [/LIST]Shape into a smooth mound, cover and let flavors mingle in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley on a plate. Goes well with beer. :yum: Serve with Pumpernickle or Rye bread. 3 stars 1 reviews