Lost Sea Soufflé

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rock LaRue

Cook
My son's Blue-and-Gold Banquet for cub-scouts is this coming Saturday. For any of you who don't know what that is, it's an annual celebration of sorts where the cub-scouts and their parents (usually their fathers) get together and bring their favorite dishes, cakes, etc. and everyone shares in a big feast. Afterwards, the kids race their pinewood derby cars and there is a contest to see who made the best dish. There are different categories for the food entries. Each year, there is a different decorating theme. Their theme for the banquet this year is ocean-related, so I thought I'd bring something that would fit in with that. I mixed this up last night and have it chilling in the fridge. I'll bake it Saturday morning before we go so it will be hot and fresh. Just thought I'd share. :)

Lost Sea Soufflé

Ingredients

4 cups cubed French bread
24 oz. soft cream cheese
10 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups milk
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Dash of freshly ground pepper
16 oz. package Washington peas
1/2 cup white mushrooms, sliced 1/8” thin
1/2 cup chopped peeled tomato
2 24-oz. jars of herring in cream sauce
8-10 drops blue food-coloring

Directions

Generously butter 4-quart casserole dish. Arrange bread cubes in dish and spread cream cheese on top. Beat together eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt, onion powder, and pepper and pour evenly over cheese and bread. Add peas, mushrooms, tomato, herring, and food-coloring. Stir and cover then chill in refrigerator overnight. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake casserole uncovered until set, about 1 hour (cover loosely with foil if top begins to over-brown).

That sounds really good!

One question... what are "Washington peas"?
They're just green peas of the Washington variety. You could probably substitute some other green peas, but I prefer these for casseroles because they're usually slightly larger and sweeter and they seem to stand up better under baking with large amounts of food. They don't get mushy as quickly.

Back
Top Bottom