"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Russ, Is the butter there like the so called Euro-butter, with more fat (therefore, more flavor)? The standard water content of American butter is about 20%. And do they sour the cream slightly, before churning the butter? Another thing that increases the flavor of the butter.
I'll get a pic for you.

Russ

Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #22
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Making butter ... hmm. I have a half gallon of cream in my freezer (someone brought this for Thanksgiving and we did not use it). Do you think it could be turned to butter?

Old 02-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

When you make butter, the churning is the easy part. Just out it into the KA and let it go.

What's important to your butter's preservation is the folding and rinsing. After the churning, you have to rinse off the milk residue/solids, folding and rinsing repeatedly to get all the pockets of residue out of the butter.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:17 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Making butter ... hmm. I have a half gallon of cream in my freezer (someone brought this for Thanksgiving and we did not use it). Do you think it could be turned to butter?
Take a mason jar, thaw out just enough of that cream to half fill it, and give everyone in the family a turn at shaking. If you end up with butter, go for the rest of it. Otherwise save it for dessert or coffee. And should you turn it into butter, don't forget to salt it.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:43 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Take a mason jar, thaw out just enough of that cream to half fill it, and give everyone in the family a turn at shaking. If you end up with butter, go for the rest of it. Otherwise save it for dessert or coffee. And should you turn it into butter, don't forget to salt it.
Curious, Addie. Why salt it? I prefer using unsalted butter to cook and bake with. Salted butter for spreading. Is homemade butter so bland?

Also, can one use homemade butter to make ghee?
Old 02-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Curious, Addie. Why salt it? I prefer using unsalted butter to cook and bake with. Salted butter for spreading. Is homemade butter so bland?

Yes, you can. Melting it works the same as 'industrial' butter.

I find unsalted butter bland. I also believe unsalted butter is an ingredient, similar to extra virgin olive oil, that is called for in recipes a lot more often than it is needed. These ingredients make your recipe sound more legit. 99.99% of the time no one will be able to tell the difference. JMHO.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post

Unsalted has absolutely no taste IMHO. To me it is like just eating a mouthful of tasteless grease. And very rarely does a recipe call for more than a teaspoon of salt. So for the amount of salt you add making your own butter, won't throw off the recipe.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I agree with those who believe unsalted butter to be bland..

When I first started making desserts, I kept unsalted butter on hand.. I came to realize that most of the recipes I use call for salt.. I stopped adding salt and use salted butter..

Seems to work well for us..

Ross
Old 02-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I find regular unsalted butter bland too. I don't keep it on hand, because there is always other salt in the recipe anyways, so a bit of salt in the butter doesn't change that.

However, I do enjoy unsalted, cultured butter.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't eat butter by the mouthful I buy unsalted just to keep it easy for both of us to remember. I keep a dish of salt on the counter for use on bread and whatever else needs it.

Tags
butter, other