"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #111
Executive Chef

Quote:
Mysost is supposed to be similar to brunost. That stuff is like candy.

Don't let it catch fire. Norway goat cheese fire closes tunnel - BBC News
Wow, who'd have thought that!

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #112
Executive Chef

I made a cheddar white 7 and 8, then another mysost.
I posted this post on a friend's blog a recipe for making cheddar cheese curds with some pictures. I know there were a few people considering trying to make those, so I thought I'd share.
https://wordpress.com/post/hilltopho...press.com/2036
Let us know if you make them.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I made a cheddar white 7 and 8, then another mysost.
I posted this post on a friend's blog a recipe for making cheddar cheese curds with some pictures. I know there were a few people considering trying to make those, so I thought I'd share.
https://wordpress.com/post/hilltopho...press.com/2036
Let us know if you make them.
That link doesn't work for me. The page doesn't load. I tried FireFox and Chrome.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #114
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That link doesn't work for me. The page doesn't load. I tried FireFox and Chrome.
My fault, so sorry. Thanks for trying it.
Let's try this.
https://hilltophomestead.wordpress.c...-cheese-curds/
Old 04-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #115
Executive Chef

I finished up the 4 cheddars I wanted to make, the 9 parmesans, all of that is to age into 2019 and 2020.

I was falling behind on paperwork stuff, so I took a break from cheese. DH retired and we are figuring out how to enjoy that time. We took up hiking on days over 40 degrees F at a local hiking trail/forest. DH is metal detecting on most days. We spend a lot of time gardening and then canning in the fall.

I'm getting back into a little cheese now. Tomorrow I'm making some raclette for melting over potatoes and pickles, and that will be done aging in July. Then soon after, some camembert or brie and that will take time to age until June and July. Both of us are fans of mozzarella and provolone so I'll stock up making that soon after making the other two cheeses. They are necessities for pizza.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #116
Executive Chef

Update beginning of May.

My little camemberts failed after 2 weeks. I'm going to make another batch tomorrow.

The raclette is aging beautifully, growing a red/orange mold on the outside, washed every other day in a ripening box in the cheese cave. I can't wait for this melty cheese on potatoes and pickles.

I made some provolone and instead of dry aging it, I vacuum packed it and it slices beautifully. DH is happy with this batch.

We've gone out hiking/walking 21 times so far since spring sprung. Our garden transplants are being replanted in bigger containers and will go in the garden at the end of May. Our cheese cave, a refrigerator with temperature control and the cheeses that are stored in there are like going to the deli and most cheeses are better with age so no hurry to eat them.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:01 AM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry your Camembert didn't work out. Better luck with the next batch.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #118
Executive Chef

The raclette was starting to get creamy under the rind, 4 weeks early, so I cut it and packaged it. It is delicious. Today I'm making a potato/cheese casserole with the raclette.

And 9 pounds of white and orange cheese curds, much we gave away.

And the next batch of camemberts started to cover itself in white mold, WIN WIN!

The provolone is really so good. We go through it on pizza and eaten out of hand. Dh wants another batch of provolone, so I'll make it tomorrow and stretch it into balls and brine it the next day.

We are so spoiled.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #119
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow! I am so impressed with your cheese making. I had no idea someone could make all of those cheeses at home. I thought it would take years to get good at making one or two kinds.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #120
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Wow! I am so impressed with your cheese making. I had no idea someone could make all of those cheeses at home. I thought it would take years to get good at making one or two kinds.

I honestly didn't know what to expect either. Then I thought of our ancestors and how they survived or get any certificates of mastery. I don't have to make cheese to sell and I don't have to be a cheese master. I just want to learn enough to make cheese for my family. I so much appreciate your encouragement along the way. It's not rocket science at all. I have enjoyed the journey and I don't think I'll ever quit. What's not to like about making cheese. I get in the zone, enjoying the process, and then everyone is happy with the results. I love that. Just like cooking. A creative endeavor that everyone enjoys.

Tags
cheese, other, store bought milk