Making cheese 2016 into 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made 2 more motz recipes, string cheese turned out really good. Rich, opaque, white, tender, delicious.
And 2 gruyeres, 3 and 4 with imprints.
wimprintgruyere1.jpg

wimprintgruyere2.jpg

The end of 2017 is approaching and I only have a batch of cheddar curds on the agenda before the end of the year. Happy Cheesing people.

The year is coming to an end.
1. Merry Christmas to everyone. Enjoy the miracles happening around you.

2. I made 64 batches of cheese, most were 4 lbs each. I made 24 kinds. It was quite an adventure. I was actually surprised there weren't people that liked to cook that also liked to make cheese.

Here is one of the best cheese sauce recipes I learned. 2 T. sodium citrate, 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1.25 lbs of cheddar cheese. This is good for dipping, for nachos (add some peppers), and for mac and cheese.

Our Christmas and holiday food will feature lots of cheese, I knew you'd guess that. Fondue with 3 kinds of swiss. Mac and Cheese. Artichoke Spinach dip with parmesan. Cheese and sausage trays. Shrimp alfredo and a salad with blue cheese! We spread this out over 10 days, as there is only so much cheese a person can enjoy!

Dh bought me my first cheese book, David Ashers, The Art of Natural Cheesemaking. I'm thrilled, so much information on natural cheese making, making your own cultures or rennets and some of the most basic cheeses. Anyone can do it.

If anyone takes up cheese making and wants to PM me, have at it. I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy it. I'll check back on the cheese area of the forum from time to time.

Merry Cheesy Christmas to everyone. :) Bliss

Merry Xmas to you too Bliss. I have really enjoyed following along on your cheese making adventure. I hope you will keep us up to date.

Jan-Feb 2018 cheese update

January-February 2018 update:

In January I made provolone, feta cheese in brine, and bel paese. Each in 4 gallon batches ~ 4 lbs each. We tasted the provolone, very good. The feta can stay in the brine for up to 10 months, we had cucumber tomato olive feta salads last week--divine.

Plans for february-march: make enough parmesan to age for 2019 and 2020. 6-8 batches. Make at least 4 batches of cheddar to age. Try something new, so brie or camembert, so I need to make smaller molds holding about a lb each. Once either of those are aged and ready, they don't hold long so I'm trying to think of how to use them.

I make a cheese sauce with a lb of cheese about once a week now, for mac and cheese, or cheesy potatoes. I've used gouda and cream cheese and cheddar and some swiss. The mozzarella is frozen and gets taken out and grated about once a week on pizza, that's a lot of cheese each week.

Wow! That sure is a lot of cheese consumption. Great that you are still enjoying it and interested in learning how to make more kinds of cheese.

Hi Bliss
Do you like the cook book, that
DH bought you. Does it cover everything
That U are already doing? I was thinking
about ordering it. I have been Following
your journey. I am impressed.

Josie

TaxLady, we went through about 100 lbs of cheese, but much of it was gifts I sent to family and friends across the country, in October, and then we gifted some to the deer hunters, and the pot luck. We have a 32 year old living with us, and he eats a lot of cheese and does hard physical labor, so there is that too.

Josie, I'd recommend following the youtube videos of Gavin Webber for recipes and processes. I bought his first e-book for $15 and it covers many cheeses, worth getting. He is working on his second e-book now. There are things to see in the videos that you won't learn in a book, it shows you HOW to stir, and how to handle cheeses at each stage, washing cheese with brines. When I begin a cheese, I start with sterilizing all the equipment, and while that is boiling, I sit down with my cheese log with pages for recipes, and write down the ingredients, timing, temperatures, processes from the video. By the time the equipment is boiled, I have my recipe in front of me and I'm on my way.

The book by David Asher, is great, The Art of Natural Cheesemaking. It doesn't cover the cheeses I made last year. It covers more of a natural approach, like using kefir or buttermilk or yogurt for cultures instead of direct vat inoculation (buy), it covers how rennet is made or has been made in the past. It covers using raw milk, instead of pasteurized, and goat's milk, instead of just cow's milk, I make cheese with pasteurized homogenized cow's milk from the store. It covers blue cheese, feta, white mold cheeses, some alpine cheeses, whey cheese, and chevre. The things he covered are a more natural approach than buying each item from a cheesemaking vendor--rennet, cultures. Good pictures, lots and lots of informative reading. I haven't been able to read it all yet.

I think though, you could start making cheeses by taking either route to make cheese, both are excellent, just different approaches really. I use mother cultures instead of DVI (google it if you want), and I make my recipes for 4 gallons in a roaster, instead of a double boiler, or the kitchen sink method. We made our own molds from buckets and a drill, we made our own press. Do what works for you.

February, I made a gentler kinder white cheddar (6) and I just finished making some mysost. Mysost is the whey boiled down, with added cream, then cooked until the color and texture of thick brown caramel. It is slightly sweet, a tiny bit tangy, smooth and meltable and is served with jams or jellies on crackers, rye bread with thin slices with fruit, or melted as a dip.

February, I made a gentler kinder white cheddar (6) and I just finished making some mysost. Mysost is the whey boiled down, with added cream, then cooked until the color and texture of thick brown caramel. It is slightly sweet, a tiny bit tangy, smooth and meltable and is served with jams or jellies on crackers, rye bread with thin slices with fruit, or melted as a dip.
Mysost is supposed to be similar to brunost. That stuff is like candy. :ermm: :yum:

Don't let it catch fire. Norway goat cheese fire closes tunnel - BBC News

I finished up the 4 cheddars I wanted to make, the 9 parmesans, all of that is to age into 2019 and 2020.

I was falling behind on paperwork stuff, so I took a break from cheese. DH retired and we are figuring out how to enjoy that time. We took up hiking on days over 40 degrees F at a local hiking trail/forest. DH is metal detecting on most days. We spend a lot of time gardening and then canning in the fall.

I'm getting back into a little cheese now. Tomorrow I'm making some raclette for melting over potatoes and pickles, and that will be done aging in July. Then soon after, some camembert or brie and that will take time to age until June and July. Both of us are fans of mozzarella and provolone so I'll stock up making that soon after making the other two cheeses. They are necessities for pizza.

Update beginning of May.

My little camemberts failed after 2 weeks. I'm going to make another batch tomorrow.

The raclette is aging beautifully, growing a red/orange mold on the outside, washed every other day in a ripening box in the cheese cave. I can't wait for this melty cheese on potatoes and pickles.

I made some provolone and instead of dry aging it, I vacuum packed it and it slices beautifully. DH is happy with this batch.

We've gone out hiking/walking 21 times so far since spring sprung. Our garden transplants are being replanted in bigger containers and will go in the garden at the end of May. Our cheese cave, a refrigerator with temperature control and the cheeses that are stored in there are like going to the deli and most cheeses are better with age so no hurry to eat them.

The raclette was starting to get creamy under the rind, 4 weeks early, so I cut it and packaged it. It is delicious. Today I'm making a potato/cheese casserole with the raclette.

wraclette.jpg

And 9 pounds of white and orange cheese curds, much we gave away.

w9lbscheesecurds.jpg

And the next batch of camemberts started to cover itself in white mold, WIN WIN!

wwhitemoldcam.jpg

The provolone is really so good. We go through it on pizza and eaten out of hand. Dh wants another batch of provolone, so I'll make it tomorrow and stretch it into balls and brine it the next day.

We are so spoiled.

Wow! I am so impressed with your cheese making. I had no idea someone could make all of those cheeses at home. I thought it would take years to get good at making one or two kinds.

Wow! I am so impressed with your cheese making. I had no idea someone could make all of those cheeses at home. I thought it would take years to get good at making one or two kinds.

I honestly didn't know what to expect either. Then I thought of our ancestors and how they survived or get any certificates of mastery. I don't have to make cheese to sell and I don't have to be a cheese master. I just want to learn enough to make cheese for my family. I so much appreciate your encouragement along the way. It's not rocket science at all. I have enjoyed the journey and I don't think I'll ever quit. What's not to like about making cheese. I get in the zone, enjoying the process, and then everyone is happy with the results. I love that. Just like cooking. A creative endeavor that everyone enjoys.

Back
Top Bottom