"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-10-2005, 10:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Making Mascarpone Cheese

After a short amount of searching, I found a recipe for making mascapone cheese, seems like a very easy way to start a cheese making endevour, and what you can make with it is so very yummy ...

The recipe is credited to Nick Malgieri

Quote:
1 pound of mascarpone. You will need 1 quart whipping cream (not ultra pasteurized) and 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or lemon juice).

1. Choose a stainless steel bowl that fits inside a large saucepan without touching the bottom of the pan.
2. Add water to the pan and place the bowl in the pan so that the bowl touches the surface of the water but still sits firmly on the rim of the pan.
3. Remove the bowl, place the pan on medium heat, and bring the water to a boil.
4. Place the cream in the bowl and place over the boiling water.
5. Adjust the heat under the pan to medium, and heat the cream, checking the temperature often with an instant-read thermometer, to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in the vinegar, continuing to stir gently until the cream begins to curdle.
7. Remove the pan from the heat, cover, and allow the curds to firm up for 10 minutes.
8. Line a strainer or colander with dampened cheesecloth, napkin, or coffee filters.
9. Set the curds into the strainer.
10. Allow the mascarpone to cool to room temperature, cover the strainer tightly with plastic wrap.
11. Refrigerate for 24 hours to allow the cheese to finish draining and become firm.
12. Store in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.
13. Use within 3 to 4 days.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I'm going to try to make this, to make Cannoli.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
Sous Chef

*Drool* *Gurgle*

Mascarpone is great, so versatile, so fattening...so yummy. This is definitely being saved to try out one day.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:31 AM   #4
Head Chef

I can't ever find cream that is not ultra pasteurized. Any suggestions for subs or where I can buy it?

Tags
None