Making milk last longer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
did you know that you can still get small pox if you only drink ultra pasteurized milk, not the regular stuff like the milkmaids of old?

i'm starting the rumour right now! :smartass:

How come they don't print the word "ultra pasteurized" right on the label?

Where are you looking? All dairy products sold to the general public, it says "Pasteurized" right on the front. Then it says "Ultra Pasteurized" at the bottom. Not all products are Ultra pasteurized though.

Dairy products sold to restaurants are only pasteurized, not always ultra pasteurized. That is at the request on the restaurant industry. Cream whips up much higher and they hold their peaks if it is not ultra.

Put your old man spectacles on and look harder at the container. :angel:

How come they don't print the word "ultra pasteurized" right on the label?

Just look at the paper cartons of milk the next time that you are in the grocery store, that's where you'll find the ultra pasteurized milk, I'm pretty sure that ultra isn't available in plastic. You can find regular pasteurized in paper cartons, but it is very often ultra.

I don't do this but my dad swears his gallon of milk lasts longer in the fridge by microwaving the whole jug of milk for up to a minute as soon as he gets it home from the market. He does this with other perishable items as well.

Oh my, this thread is just keeps getting rejuvenated. I changed the brand of milk I buy, and now it lasts at least two maybe even three weeks after the date.

When we go to Mexico, we can never find milk in the refrigerated section. It's all on the shelves, in boxes. Super ultra pasturized. It has an expiration date of up to a year, sometimes more.

It's semi-drinkable if very well-chilled.

Lately, I've been noticing my milk doesn't last the 4-7 days past the exp. date on the carton.

Last week, I went to pour a glass of milk from a wax carton of milk that was only a 3 or 4 days past the exp.date. It poured out like runny yogurt.

First of all, the supermarket milk shelves aren't exactly that well chilled.
I try and buy milk last before checkout so that it's still chilled.

I've been doing this lately. When I get home, not a long ways from the supermarket, I put the milk carton in the freezer and let it chill down to just where it doesn't start freezing. Then I put it in the fridge.

Anyone do the same? It seems to make the milk last the 5-7 days past the exp. date (it's supposed to) without putting white spots on your glass or going really bad by then.

I don't know what it is, but milk in cartons used to last longer than they do now, at least 5-7 days past the exp date. And yes, I keep my fridge pretty cold too.

I think the reason is the supermarkets have lowered the temp of the area they keep milk, to save energy bills.
Not surprised it doesn't last that long after the expiry date!

Not surprised it doesn't last that long after the expiry date!

Actually, very surprised. Good milk should less much longer. Date on the bottle is not the expiration, but rather "best by". Pasteurized milk should last longer. Growing up we did not ha e pasteurized milk. It would only less two days at the most.

I'm saying...it's almost more economical, for me, to buy a few individual 12 oz. milk containers, that have a far future expiration date, than it is to buy a big jug of milk which has a much sooner expiration date and will go bad before I use half of it. ;)

did you know that you can still get small pox if you only drink ultra pasteurized milk, not the regular stuff like the milkmaids of old?

i'm starting the rumour right now! :smartass:
The last naturally occurring case of smallpox was diagnosed on 26 October 1977 (there was a death in Birmingham in 1978 but that was a lab connected infection) and the world Health Organisation certified the global eradication of smallpox in 1979.

The virus is stored in two labs, one in Russia and one in the USA.

And the milkmaids didn't get immunity from drinking milk. Their immunity came from contracting cow pox from handling the udders of infected cows.

(You can take the woman out of the history classroom but you can't take the history classroom out of the woman ;))

The last naturally occurring case of smallpox was diagnosed on 26 October 1977 (there was a death in Birmingham in 1978 but that was a lab connected infection) and the world Health Organisation certified the global eradication of smallpox in 1979.

The virus is stored in two labs, one in Russia and one in the USA.

And the milkmaids didn't get immunity from drinking milk. Their immunity came from contracting cow pox from handling the udders of infected cows.

(You can take the woman out of the history classroom but you can't take the history classroom out of the woman ;))

MC I was visiting my girlfriend in Atlanta, Georgia. She was driving around showing me the sites and she turned into the driveway of the CDC. That is where the small pox sample is kept in the USA. We turn into the driveway and drive right up to the fence. All of a sudden two heavily armed guards with guns pointed right at us asked what and who did we want to see. All of a sudden very quickly I heard, "I am so sorry. I thought I was turning into the next right turn. I wasn't paying attention to my driving." They sent up on our way. And not through the gate at the CDC. So I can now tell folks I was at the CDC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom