Making milk last longer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Lately, I've been noticing my milk doesn't last the 4-7 days past the exp. date on the carton.

Last week, I went to pour a glass of milk from a wax carton of milk that was only a 3 or 4 days past the exp.date. It poured out like runny yogurt.

First of all, the supermarket milk shelves aren't exactly that well chilled.
I try and buy milk last before checkout so that it's still chilled.

I've been doing this lately. When I get home, not a long ways from the supermarket, I put the milk carton in the freezer and let it chill down to just where it doesn't start freezing. Then I put it in the fridge.

Anyone do the same? It seems to make the milk last the 5-7 days past the exp. date (it's supposed to) without putting white spots on your glass or going really bad by then.

I don't know what it is, but milk in cartons used to last longer than they do now, at least 5-7 days past the exp date. And yes, I keep my fridge pretty cold too.

I think the reason is the supermarkets have lowered the temp of the area they keep milk, to save energy bills.

Last edited:
I started buying milk in smaller quanities...1/2 Gallon....so by the time the expiration day rolls around it is usually gone, and has been replaced with a fresh container...You might try the same plan since you are not for from your market....HTH

I'm lucky if I can get it to last two days past the sell by date without "the smell" arriving. I have a hard time buying the right size. If I get a qt, I run out. If I get a gal, I end up pouring some of it down the drain sometimes. I should really get in the habit of buying cream and using that for cooking and in my coffee. Then I could just buy a qt of regular milk. Cream seems to last longer if I remember right.

Yeah, cream is often ultra-pasteurized, so it lasts longer. Another strategy for milk is to take a cooler to the grocery store and put perishables in that for the ride home.

I haven't had to throw away milk since before kids....
maybe I'll be lucky enough one day to be able to do that again. :)

I usually buy the two gallons for the lower price, place one in the fridge and the other in my chest freezer. I usually finish it before the expiration date, and I keep my refrigerator set to a preety cold setting. Also, don't keep the milk jug in the door of the fridge. The constant opening and closing of the door will cause the milk to be warmer than if it was just sitting on the top shelf.

I have this problem in the summer. Milk will only last a couple of days for me. If I turn the temp down in my fridge it freezes, but if I don't it spoils quickly. I'm about the place where I just won't buy milk in the summer.

Keep the refrigerator temperature below 40°F (4°C) and perhaps trying to keep only a few days worth of milk in the frig at one time, freezing the rest so it stays fresh until needed.

With milk it is clearly a manufacturer. I switch from one brand to another couple of years ago, and now instead of getting 1-2 days after the expiration, I get 1-2 weeks after expiration without any problem. Also depends on manufacturer milk will taste different. Not the major difference but for sure I can taste the difference. Here in town Polka dot milk is absolutely the best one, butter too. They make good stuff.

With milk it is clearly a manufacturer. I switch from one brand to another couple of years ago, and now instead of getting 1-2 days after the expiration, I get 1-2 weeks after expiration without any problem. Also depends on manufacturer milk will taste different. Not the major difference but for sure I can taste the difference. Here in town Polka dot milk is absolutely the best one, butter too. They make good stuff.

Adding to that, sometimes one manufacturer will make the milk that's sold under more than one brand.

In our stores here, Stop and Shop (store) brand is made by the same manufacturer as that sold by a well-known brand. It's exactly the same milk, but priced much lower.

Milk cartons have a number code which indicates the place of manufacture. If you pick up a carton of SS milk and a carton of the name brand, the numbers are the same.

When I saw this thread I thought I was going to a tip on stretching my milk; I buy 3 gallons when I go grocery shopping on Thursdays and I’m lucky if I have any left the following Thursday.

as I use milk for coffee and cooking only we just use UHT-milk.
Doesn't have the taste of the "normal fresh milk", but that doesn't matter...
If I need milk for milkshakes etc I buy the fresh milk.. and it usually won't last much longer than expiration.

As Suzi and GB said, get a couple of kids.. problem solved! I would definitely try a different manufacturer and taking a small cooler with me to see if that helps.

I have also taken to the habit of keeping cream around now. Sometimes I put it in my coffee (never milk or half&half only heavy cream), but mostly I mix it with milk for the wifes coffee as she needs it. The half&half she used to get always seemed to go bad before she completely used it up.

another bump, but some good info.

Lately, I've been noticing my milk doesn't last the 4-7 days past the exp. date on the carton.

Last week, I went to pour a glass of milk from a wax carton of milk that was only a 3 or 4 days past the exp.date. It poured out like runny yogurt.

I've been doing this lately. When I get home, not a long ways from the supermarket, I put the milk carton in the freezer and let it chill down to just where it doesn't start freezing. Then I put it in the fridge.

Anyone do the same? It seems to make the milk last the 5-7 days past the exp. date (it's supposed to) without putting white spots on your glass or going really bad by then.

I don't know what it is, but milk in cartons used to last longer than they do now, at least 5-7 days past the exp date. And yes, I keep my fridge pretty cold too.

I think the reason is the supermarkets have lowered the temp of the area they keep milk, to save energy bills.

i think you mean raise the temp.

i've found it also depends on the weather outside, and how long the delivery truck lets it sit in an open truck or on the loading dock. it's much worse in hot summer months.

also, i always remove the containers of milk from the front to get to the most recently stocked ones in the back which usually have a later date of expiry since they are stocked from the cold room behind the shelves.

and yes, i put the other containers back after waving to the guy in the cold room as he glares at me.

Also, don't keep the milk jug in the door of the fridge. The constant opening and closing of the door will cause the milk to be warmer than if it was just sitting on the top shelf.

ed zachary! :)

or bottom shelf where it's just that much colder and tends to fit better.

Keep the refrigerator temperature below 40°F (4°C) and perhaps trying to keep only a few days worth of milk in the frig at one time, freezing the rest so it stays fresh until needed.

i keep my fridge just above the temp where it starts to freeze stuff directly under the cold air "vents" in the back, often behind the top shelf. i figure that's about 35 to 40F.

oh, btw caslon, if milk is leaving spots on your glasses then you have dirty glasses. it could be from a dishwasher drying mineral deposits in the glass, or just poor washing.
i've noticed those spots from the dishwasher as i think my town's water supply comes from a swimming pool somewhere. or when i immediately re-use the same glass after drinking something like juice or soda in it, and then not rinsing it out really well or at all.

yeah, that's kinda gross, but you can't tell by the taste and i have 1 less glass to wash by hand since "my" kitchen doesn't have a dishwasher besides me. :)

dw's upstairs kitchen has one PLUS me. :huh:

Last edited:

The milk is NOT supposed to last 5-7 days beyond the "exp, date". The "exp. date" means the EXPIRY date. In other words, the date by which you should have used up the milk. You may get lucky if you choose to ignore the expiry date but you shouldn't be surprised when it goes bad.

And you would be pushing your luck if you complained to the store where you bought it. Entertaining, though, for anyone else present. I'd enjoy being the proverbial fly on the wall.

I very much doubt that a reputable seller would be so stupid as to do what your last sentence says.

The milk is NOT supposed to last 5-7 days beyond the "exp, date". The "exp. date" means the EXPIRY date. In other words, the date by which you should have used up the milk. You may get lucky if you choose to ignore the expiry date but you shouldn't be surprised when it goes bad.

Sorry. Not in the US. The date on a milk carton is the "sell by" date. It's an indication for the grocer to pull it from the shelf. Milk should (but is not guaranteed to) last beyond this date if it's been stored properly and unopened.

Can You Drink Milk Past Its Sell-by Date?

Last edited:
I'm lucky if I can get it to last two days past the sell by date without "the smell" arriving. I have a hard time buying the right size. If I get a qt, I run out. If I get a gal, I end up pouring some of it down the drain sometimes. I should really get in the habit of buying cream and using that for cooking and in my coffee. Then I could just buy a qt of regular milk. Cream seems to last longer if I remember right.
As far as I know there is no reason whatsoever why cream should last any longer than milk if they are kept in proper conditions.

And as I've already said that expiry date is there for a reason - to tellyou to use the milk by the expiry date.

And as I've already said that expiry date is there for a reason - to tellyou to use the milk by the expiry date.
In the US it is not an expiry date. It is a best used by date. The product is said to be at its best up until that date. It is not expected that the product is no longer good after that date. There is no reason to believe that you should not use it after that date and every reason to know that you should still be able to get another week or so out of the product safely.

Back
Top Bottom