"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #11
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Then I switched to butter, but since I keep it in the fridge it doesn't work well on toast, so I started buying "LOL spreadable butter", which I know contains canola oil, but spreads like margarine and comes in a tub, so is it really a spread?
Pacanis! You need a Butter Bell! But never mind the price. I've found the exact same item at Marshalls for around $10. They work like a charm.

Google Image Result for http://images.surlatable.com/surlatable/images/en_US/local/products/detail/19645.jpg

Old 09-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
Pacanis! You need a Butter Bell! But never mind the price. I've found the exact same item at Marshalls for around $10. They work like a charm.

Google Image Result for http://images.surlatable.com/surlata...tail/19645.jpg
Ahhh, the caveat.....
I like cold butter on warm toast. Weird I know, but there is a taste difference in your toast between spreading something room temp and something cold on it. And cold butter doesn't spread well. That's why I used margarine in the past and now "spreadable butter". Gotta come outta da fridge

And I'll check on those ingredients Mama. I never knew stick and tub products that were labeled the same, in effect weren't.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
Head Chef

Let me first say this, I would NEVER suggest that anyone EVER use margarine except in an emergency but maybe this link will help understand margarine, Pacanis: FDA
Old 09-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Let me first say this, I would NEVER suggest that anyone EVER use margarine except in an emergency but maybe this link will help understand margarine, Pacanis: FDA
I love it. Margarine is better for us
Here, I used to use it until joining this forum and asking questions
I knew there was a reason I never pay attention to cholesterol, trans fats and all that.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I shouldn't use margarine at all? I'll be honest with yah.. I never realized there were margarine sticks.. I always assumed, if it was a stick, it was butter. If it's in a tub, it's margarine. I'm with Pacanis on the spreading issue.. I use my 'tub butter' for toast, and bread (rolls,cornbread,crossants,etc...) I also use it for grilled cheese sandwhiches, since the stick butter tears my bread..

My mom has always used one of those holders, for the stick butter. So that way it's room temp, and will spread. I just think the 'tub butter' tastes so much better...
Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
Executive Chef

There are differences in using butter or margarine for baking cookies. Margarine (and by that, I mean "stick" margarine) has a greater range of temperatures that the cookie dough is workable. Butter is more natural, and a proven, time-tested ingredient, but the resulting dough has a very narrow range of temperatures at which the dough is "workable", for rolling out. There is also a difference in how the cookie "spreads" as it bakes, but I can't remember which one spreads more, margarine or butter.

IMHO, I only use regular Cisco to season my cast iron skillets with. Butter-Flavor Crisco is a vile thing should not exist.

FWIW, I keep a package of "stick" margarine in my freezer, for those rare occasions where the baking urge hits me. I also keep a pound of "stick" butter in the freezer, as well, as more of my baking recipes call for butter.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #17
Executive Chef

We get baking margarines (brand name "stork" ) over here in tubs. Most of the margarines have labels indicating if they are suitable for cooking - broken down into baking and frying.

So I would go for butter if you have it, then check the margarine container carefully for what it says.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post

Google Image Result for http://images.surlatable.com/surlatable/images/en_US/local/products/detail/19645.jpg
same here ! I have one and it is great!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #19
Head Chef

I wouldn't use margarine on a bet for anything. I use only unsalted butter. I don't like anything fake, like Krab, margarine, the parmesan stuff in the can. Gotta be the real thing, it does make all the difference in the world to me. And I CAN believe it's not butter. AAAACCCCKK. Are they kidding? Stick with butter. Sorry for the pun.
P. S. The butter bell is one of my most valuable "gadgets."
Old 09-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #20
Master Chef

i agre with your above lister dislike fer krab, but why unsalted butter..... i keep salted & unsalted both. some recipes count on that sodium.

Tags
None