Margarine or Butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't use margarine on a bet for anything. I use only unsalted butter. I don't like anything fake, like Krab, margarine, the parmesan stuff in the can. Gotta be the real thing, it does make all the difference in the world to me. And I CAN believe it's not butter. AAAACCCCKK. Are they kidding? Stick with butter. Sorry for the pun.:LOL:
P. S. The butter bell is one of my most valuable "gadgets."
Hiya
It's okay to use margarine to grease cake pans, but little else. Butter leeches water when it melts at cake baking temp, making your grease/flour mixture at the bottom of your cake pans steam. Margarine, on the other hand, won't steam the bottom of the cake.

i agre with your above lister dislike fer krab, but why unsalted butter..... i keep salted & unsalted both. some recipes count on that sodium.

I don't want the butter to dictate how much sodium I use. I prefer to add my own salt to my recipes so I can control the amount. And I don't particularly care for the taste of salted butter.

I never use margarine, so can't comment on that.

One thing I DO know is that you can't substitute "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" (& other products of that type), whether in sticks or tubs, for butter. As someone else posted, there is just way too much liquid in those products, which I quickly learned when I USED to cook with them. Vegetables don't "saute" in them - they steam & then burn - lol!! I imagine all that liquid would really throw baked goods right off.

These days I pretty much only use butter &/or olive oil for regular cooking, interspersed with canola oil for certain applications.

As far as the salted vs. unsalted butter controversy - it used to be that salted butter was felt to be substandard because producers could (& may well have) used the salt to cover up an inferior product. But that's no longer the case.

However, as others have stated, I too prefer to control my sodium intake, so do use unsalted butter for cooking/baking unless for some reason salted butter is called for. I do, however, prefer salted butter for buttering toast, biscuits, etc., etc. I just like the flavor better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom