"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Microwave poached eggs?

I have a little gadget for making poached eggs in the microwave that I've never used. It looks like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	eggpoacher.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	8660
The directions say to put a little water in each side (1/2 tsp) add eggs, cover with plastic lid and cook on high for one or two minutes. I am highly skeptical but it looks so simple that I'm willing to give it a whirl. Has anyone ever tried poaching eggs in the microwave? How are your results? Any warnings before I try?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Half Baked

You need to prick the yolks or the eggs will bounce off the ceiling of the micro.Happened to me!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I once cracked an egg into a flat plate and microwaved it to go on top of some hash. When it exploded, I thought a bomb had gone off. It took me quite a while to get the egg out of all the nooks and crannies of the microwave.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I'm willing to give it a whirl.
So..you are waiting for???

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
so..you are waiting for???

eggsacly!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #6

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Breakfast..

I'm a little timid here as I have a BAAD track record... the last time I cooked eggs in a microwave was years ago and before microwaves were commonly used. Someone told me I could hardboil eggs and so I popped 6 eggs into a commercial microwave and hit go. The mess that followed was awful. They exploded and cooked to the sides, top and bottom of the oven. Seems predictable in hindsight - but back then I had never used a microwave....

In the years to follow I learned to cook vast quantities of eggs in scarier machines (pressure steamer) with good results - but the memory of that scalded on mess in my first microwave still makes me cautious.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I once cracked an egg into a flat plate and microwaved it to go on top of some hash. When it exploded, I thought a bomb had gone off. It took me quite a while to get the egg out of all the nooks and crannies of the microwave.
I'm Sorry!

I have nothing more to add...{snigger}
Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm Sorry!

I have nothing more to add...{snigger}
I think that explosion took years off my life.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have cracked an egg over pre-heated hash and put back in the microwave for another minute without problems. But, I've never tried to poach eggs. I'd go ahead and try it, but put a paper towel over the whole thing to save some clean-up if things go boom!

Andy, Really I am sorry! :)
Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #10

Site Administrator

How to clean cooked egg out of microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Today was the day. Sunday brunch = eggs Benedict.

The plastic microwave egg cooker holds two eggs but I needed 8 so this seemed like a good oppertunity learn how to use this gadget via repeated use. It sounded reasonable.....

Following the directions exactly the first two eggs went in for 60 seconds. Not quite cooked enough for my taste but one o fthe hungry hoard waiting for food volunteered that it looked perfect.

Next two eggs: 70 seconds. Perfectly cooked soft (very soft). But I like em not so runny and figured that another 10 seconds would be perfect.

Next two eggs: 80 seconds. We will never know if 80 seconds renders the perfect eggs. At 72 seconds the lid blew off the eggs and they exploded, splattering the oven with egg juice. In the few seconds I took me to get across the kitchen and turn off the oven, the eggs fossilized on the walls of the microwave.

I tried several cleaning options... paper towels just smeared what little was uncooked around more. Glass cleaner made the fossilized bits shine in the glow of the oven light. A hot soapy sponge didn't touch the egg stalagtites, not the green scrubby side.

How to clean fossilized eggs off the inside of a microwave: Use glass cooktop cleaner - follow instructions. Rinse, repeat.

How to poach eggs:

1. Heat 3 inches of water in large saucepan to boiling on stove top. Lower heat to keep liquid simmering gently. (optional addition = 1 T vinegar to help keep eggs in tack)
  2. Crack eggs, 1 at a time, into custard cup or saucer. Hold dish close to surface and gently slip egg into water.
  3. Cook eggs until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not stir. Remove eggs from water with slotted spoon. Drain in spoon or on paper towels. Trim away any rough edges. Serve immediately. 3 mins for runny eggs, 4 for somewhat set and 5 for hard cooked.

Tags
None