Most versatile cheese...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also thought of a couple more than I like to have around often.. slices of provolone cheese (I get that at my local italian deli), and just American cheese slices.

I love gouda and brie.. but it's not practical for me to buy it all the time, not unless I am making something special.

i'm big on vermont and irish cheddars, both from smaller producers, not the big guys like cabot and kerrygold. their cheeses are just ordinary. but vermont and irish cheddars are very creamy, as well as having wonderful ranges of sharpness.
one of my favorite snacks, that i've mentioned here before, is to put a slice of extra sharp cheddar on a wheat cracker, top it with diced raw onion and brown mustard, yummmm. try it with a cold one, you'll like it.

i don't know about a universal cheese, tho. so many different ones, so many different ways to eat them. some are interchangeable, but not all.

Oh that sounds like a great snack! I love the VT cheddars as well. There is a cheese place in Burlington, VT that I love going to. They have some really tasty cheddar, among other stuff. One of my favorites is a wedge of very sharp cheddar with an apple. MMMMM.

Juliev said:
I also thought of a couple more than I like to have around often.. slices of provolone cheese (I get that at my local italian deli), and just American cheese slices.

I love gouda and brie.. but it's not practical for me to buy it all the time, not unless I am making something special.

juliev, I am surprised at you!! Not having gouda and brie around all the time. :LOL: :LOL: As you know one of my favorites is smoked gouda.

SC :)

My "universal" is Monterey Jack. I love it on everything.
However,
I love pepper jack! Quite addicting!
I love bleu cheese on most foods, and think brie should be in it's own classification!
Also a good sharp sharp provolone (the kind you get in a really good deli and you can smell down the street)........mmmmmmmmm!

Though my all time favorite is from a Canadian Cheddar Cheese maker, Balderson Heritage Cheddars (especially the 5-year aged cheddar :D ), I would have to say that havarti is for me the most versatile cheese. It has enough flavor to stand on its own, quite admirally in fact, but is not so overpowering to overstep its place in a sandwich. It has nice texture at most any temperature.

Another favorite is Muenster. It's creamy flavor, coupled with a texture like a soft mozzarella, makes it a favorite for delli sandwiches, and just plain snacking.

My snacking cheeses are a good colby, and good cheddar. I can eat them plain, without the need for any adornment.

Other great and versatile cheeses include cottage, ricotta, mazarella, provolone, american, Ghouda, Edam, and feta.

I also live a strong swiss.

I am not fond of the ripened soft cheeses, which is odd, because I normally prefer strong flavors. I detest camembert and brie. They taste spoiled to me.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

SierraCook said:
Juliev said:

juliev, I am surprised at you!! Not having gouda and brie around all the time. :LOL: :LOL: As you know one of my favorites is smoked gouda.

SC :)

I'll have to make sure I keep it on hand now :LOL:

Hey Otter, I like all cheese except the really stinky ones. If you want the harder ones creamy make a bechamel sauce like for mac and cheese and melt. I make bread pudding using fontina, guyere, jarlsberg and they are fine, guyere is a harder cheese.

mudbug said:
noregeskog, I am a bread pudding wino.

Please post this delicious-sounding cheese version.

I will, but if you want exact measurements, it is in my head. Make your usual bread pudding but without sugar, and add garlic and a combination of your favorite cheeses, plus I add shallots or scallions, and sometimes mushrooms. I usually top it with fresh grated parmasean cheese. You can add ham or bacon for a complete meal with a salad. Add wine to it if you want to be authentic. And thanks mudbug, I am flattered.

64871803107.jpg

When I get a chance I like to have Velveeta on hand... you can make an easy soup or appetizer!!

is there really only one most versatile cheese? It seems to me it depends on whether you want to eat it "out of hand", use for sandwiches or cook with it.

I favor hard cheese with lots of flavor since these are good for "just eating" as well as cooking.
>An aged xtra-sharp cheddar (not artificially colored to make it yellow or - gasp! - orange)
>parmigiano-reggiano of course, tho I personally like pecorino-romano just as well and it is significantly less expensive
>smoked gouda (not really "hard" - has good melting properties and tastes great)

Sometimes I buy a triple-cream blue cheese from France (sorry, can't remember the name) which is marvelous on whole-grain bread, crackers or with apples (I love cheese with apples or apple pie). If I'm feeling really decadent, I'll have some sherry or port with this.

>fresh mozarella and fresh smoked mozarella - I adore this and we know it's great in cooking but in my house it always gets eaten as soon as it can be unwrapped and put on a plate (especially in summer with fresh tomato slices and an assortment of olives and pickled mushrooms and artichoke hearts)

>last but not least, I like that processed "port wine-cheddar cheese" stuff from the supermarket with crackers and/or apples

Back
Top Bottom