"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Old 10-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
So GG - I guess you've answered my question.

I will never know how "fresh" any mozzarella is as they never put on a manufacturing date for us. Only a best before. too bad, so sad - it means it will always be a turkey shoot as to whether it is fresh or not.

I will have to search out the buffalo farm in Ontario and go visit them I guess.
It's fairly easy to make it at home. Takes about half an hour. Also, there's an Italian restaurant near us that makes their own and they sell it at the two farmers markets in my town. You might be able to buy it directly from a restaurant, like people do pizza dough.

https://youtu.be/6r7p25YJQk0

Old 10-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
Executive Chef

It's not just the cheese that makes the caprese salad, it's the tomatoes too. We all know the difference between a tomato picked ripe or almost ripe and the ones we buy in the store.

You can also substitute roasted red bell pepper for the tomato slices. Different but equally good (better if you can't get great tomatoes) and a change of pace.

And, yes, I've noticed a change in taste. I've never had freshly made buffalo moz here in the States, but I have had freshly made cow's milk moz from the local Italian delis that make it fresh every day. It does start to develop an off taste after a few days in the fridge.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:00 AM   #13
Master Chef

I used Galbani mozz cheese on our pizzas last night. The package said it was made in Buffalo, New York. Would that qualify it as Buffalo Mozzarella?

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:16 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
But Steve you don't say if you've ever noticed a difference in age on the mozzarella's - of course fresh is always better, but how old is old and when does it start to change?
Fresh buffalo mozzarella in Italy is made from raw, unpasteurized milk. It only has a shelf life of a few days before it turns sour and the texture becomes "gloopy." It's not meant to age. People there tend to use it the same day it's made.

Over here, who knows? Most cheese, at least in the US, is made from pasteurized milk, which will extend the shelf life. I still think I'd use it up as quickly as possible. Certainly within a couple of weeks.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #15
Head Chef

Whopeee! Googled and found! Don't know why they didn't come up before but there you go... mysteries of the universe.

There are quite a few Water Buffalo farms in Canada, I was a bit surprised. I didn't googled the States but it seems quite a few were imported here from Vermont, with one importing close to 300 to start their farm.

And here is the info I was looking for...

"Mozzarella di bufala is at its best within two or three days of production. Itís soft and elastic and delicious from Day One but seems to gain buttery flavour by the second or third day."

above taken froom this 2014 article

Unfortunately so far as I can find out - manufacturers do not put date of production on.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #16
Head Chef

Whopeee! Googled and found! Don't know why they didn't come up before but there you go... mysteries of the universe.

There are quite a few Water Buffalo farms in Canada, I was a bit surprised. I didn't googled the States but it seems quite a few were imported here from Vermont, with one importing close to 300 to start their farm.

And here is the info I was looking for...

"Mozzarella di bufala is at its best within two or three days of production. Itís soft and elastic and delicious from Day One but seems to gain buttery flavour by the second or third day."

above taken froom this 2014 article

Unfortunately so far as I can find out - manufacturers do not put date of production on.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #17
Sous Chef

We only ever have Mozzarella in the summer months, when the Mozzarella di Bufala is at its best and particulary in the tomato season, when the fresh basil (Ligurian basil is the most fragrant) is in season as well. That's the time when an Insalata Caprese is magic. I just put top quality EVOO, salt and pepper on.
There's nothing like it! Mozzarella di Bufala is also wonderful on pizza Napoletana, and I make an antipasto snack:ciabatta bruschetta with summer tomatoes, Mozzarella, and fresh made Pesto Genovese. You should try it. Washed down with a light dry withe wine. It's heaven.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Tags
other