Ms. Mofet's Cheese and Potato Blintz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So is this the same as home made Ricotta Bliss?
I avoid store bought Ricotta for lasagna and sub cottage cheese instead. I wonder why I'm not a fan of Ricotta in cooking? Is store bought Ricotta different somehow?

Ricotta is a cheese made from milk or whey (or milk added to whey), then an acid (lemon juice, citric acid, or vinegar).
If you make it into a form, then it is farmer's cheese.
If you use a starter like yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk, then an acid (as listed above), form it and then heat it again in boiling whey, it is paneer. Paneer is generally known for frying, browning while not melting.

Store bought ricotta--I'm not a fan, and it seems different to me. It is not in curds (clumps) as much as it is a smooth mush, and I don't know why they make it that way. Store bought also doesn't appear to have any salt added, maybe so you can use it in savory or sweet dishes.

My personal experience is that, if you make ricotta or farmer's cheese from a skim milk, or whey, it is kind of dry, more grainy, but if you make it from whole milk with more fat in it then skim or whey, it is more delicious. So remember the fat content will make it taste better and for it to be smoother. Whole milk has 3.25+% fat while skim has 0% fat and the 1% and 2% are inbetween.

Back
Top Bottom