"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

When you go to the hardware store, ask for a wood rasp instead of microplane. Microplane is the kitchen name. Wood rasp is the name of the tool in the hardware store. They are the same item.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

A wood rasp? Is that all it is? I probably have a few rusty rasps laying around the basement somewhere....
So how do you keep it clean? Last I knew they don't come in SS yet. Do I need to "treat" it somehow?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
When you go to the hardware store, ask for a wood rasp instead of microplane. Microplane is the kitchen name. Wood rasp is the name of the tool in the hardware store. They are the same item.
I've got one of those wood rasp, also have a microplane, box grater, a grating disc for the food processor
Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
A wood rasp? Is that all it is? I probably have a few rusty rasps laying around the basement somewhere....
So how do you keep it clean? Last I knew they don't come in SS yet. Do I need to "treat" it somehow?
The ones sold as a kitchen tool do not need to be treated. I do not know about the hardware store wood rasps though. Check it out and let us know.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Martha Stewart sells something at Macy's and, maybe, K-Mart called a great grater, which is based on the wood rasp tool sold in hardware stores. Her tools are stainless steel, which would not require any treating.

I don't have any of Martha's tools, but I'm telling you this because I've seen her use them and comment on them. You might check out your local K-Mart or go online for Macy's.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I'm not a fan of the microplanes. I have one for grating and one for zesting, and have had some near misses and tiny cuts because they are so narrow. I picked up a wider one from BBB that works like a charm. Looks something like this. I have also used the rotary ones like Olive Garden (may have gotten it from there) that make 'fluffy' mounds of cheesy goodness.
I have a couple of these I bought at Target for about $5. I think they are KitchenAid or Calphalon brand.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I'd stay out of the hardware store for a food gaget. Those tools aren't made from stainless steel and are sometimes painted. After a few uses and cleanings you will most definately see some rust.

Pacanis, you'll be more than happy with a regular grating microplane or the one I provided a link with. Were you using the zesting side of the grater? I can cover 2 dishes with Parm in a matter of seconds with mine.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Good call Jeeks. After looking online this morning to see exactly what a microplane is, I think I'll try to vist Macy's and pick one up. I was thinking along the lines that it was a solid, heavy rasp... something you could season like a CI skillet. I don't think the plastic handle would like that very much.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #19
Head Chef

My Microplane is stainless steel. Microplane is a brand name for a kind of wood rasp. Some other brands of wood rasps may be painted or made out of some kind of steel that rusts.

A real Microplane wood rasp has no paint, no rust, and is no different than the ones from the kitchen store.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
My Microplane is stainless steel. Microplane is a brand name for a kind of wood rasp. Some other brands of wood rasps may be painted or made out of some kind of steel that rusts.

A real Microplane wood rasp has no paint, no rust, and is no different than the ones from the kitchen store.
Google "Surform". I have a drawer full of these and I can assure you that as they may be somewhat similar, they are not meant to be used other than the intended use.

Tags
None