Need help quick: hard boiled eggs for Deviled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi folks, how long should I boil large chicken eggs (not particularly, though. I usually buy jumbos, but these seem small) in order to make Deviled Eggs.

We have a large group of parents coming over this afternoon for my boy's rugby team's parent booster club.

I wanted to make Deviled Eggs for one of the appys, but I was wondering how long you recommend boiled the eggs.

Also, any other tips are appreciated.

I just got home and need to clear 8 inches of snow from the drive and walkway, but I figured I'd task the boy with prepping the eggs.

TIA.

Last edited:
Place the eggs in a saucepan and fill with hottest tap water. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Drain, shake to crack the shells, add ice water and cool the eggs then peel etc.

Place eggs in sauce pan with cold water.
Bring to a boil then shut off and cover for I think 12-15 minutes?
Cool under cold water and peel.
Thats how we do it. Always works.

I do as RB does, and set the timer for 12 minutes. Drain and shock in ice bath.

Thanks so much, everyone. So many quick responses.

Andy answered so quickly, it was the only respibse that I had time to read, so I did that.

It worked out quite well, thanks Andy! :chef: They peeled easily, and were perfectly cooked and chilled in time to devil them.

Now I'm interested in the differences between methods.

Thanks again to all for such quick help, and a new mission.

Thanks so much, everyone. So many quick responses.

Andy answered so quickly, it was the only respibse that I had time to read, so I did that.

It worked out quite well, thanks Andy! :chef: They peeled easily, and were perfectly cooked and chilled in time to devil them.

Now I'm interested in the differences between methods.

Thanks again to all for such quick help, and a new mission.

BT, you're welcome.

That recipe is one I copied out of a cooking magazine. It was a recipe of Julia Child's. I have since learned she has published other methods for cooking eggs that are different.

There were a couple of threads years ago where everyone was hot and heavy on which way was the "best". My conclusion is that there's more than one way to hard cook and egg well.

I'll stick with mine and others will stick with theirs.

So what was the boy doing while you were away?

Slept late after being at his friend's house late last night, then cleaned his room. By the time he came out to help, I was pretty much done clearing the snow.

He had asked for $6 the other day so he could buy some molle equipped backpack, so I told him to do some work.
When I came in this morning, I mentioned that he missed out on his chance to make $20.

He then helped with the eggs and shrimp cocktail, but he ain't getting a penny for fun work.

He'll have another chance next week with yard clean up, but I'm not going to push it. He needs to learn to want to work, not be spoon fed.

Slept late after being at his friend's house late last night, then cleaned his room. By the time he came out to help, I was pretty much done clearing the snow.

He had asked for $6 the other day so he could buy some molle equipped backpack, so I told him to do some work.
When I came in this morning, I mentioned that he missed out on his chance to make $20.

He then helped with the eggs and shrimp cocktail, but he ain't getting a penny for fun work.

He'll have another chance next week with yard clean up, but I'm not going to push it. He needs to learn to want to work, not be spoon fed.

You my friend are a very good Dad. :punk:

When I worked with cooking eggs, yes I have done that, we used to add egg to a pot of cold water, when it started to boil, we would turn the heat of and leave lid on for 10 minutes and the eggs would be perfect, no matter size.

I use the easiest method for hard boiled eggs. Go to Kroger, buy already boiled and peeled eggs. :chef:

It costs more money, but there is a lot less profanity involved. :LOL:

CD

You my friend are a very good Dad. :punk:

Thank you, K-L. That means a lot to me.
The kid makes it easy, though.

And thanks to all. I'll be researching this further. Guess what went first today? 2 dozen eggs, or 48 half Deviled eggs were gone toot suite.

Re those eggs: any advice as to changes in method if the eggs are newer/older, and are the eggs room temp before putting in the pot? Does either thing matter at all? Thanks, folks.

This gadget would help with peeling stubborn shells, but I tried a small teaspoon by doing the same and it worked well too.

linden-set-of-2-egg-peelers-3.gif.png

Last edited:
Interesting how many different ways there is just to boil some eggs. I use cold water. Bring to boil and then cook for 5-6 minutes. Of course if you are going to boil 20-30 eggs the time might increase to at least 20, maybe even longer. minutes.

Back
Top Bottom