Need help quick: hard boiled eggs for Deviled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re those eggs: any advice as to changes in method if the eggs are newer/older, and are the eggs room temp before putting in the pot? Does either thing matter at all? Thanks, folks.

TL, both those factors are addressed in the Serious Eats article. It's interesting and worth reading. I'm going to try that method next time.

This gadget would help with peeling stubborn shells, but I tried a small teaspoon by doing the same and it worked well too.

linden-set-of-2-egg-peelers-3.gif.png

I have been using a spoon for probably ten years now. Be sure to crack the shell all over for best results and when you first start off dip the spoon in water. As with any method start with the air pocket.

. A fellow forum member from a chicken site showed me.

I also pierce the air pocket. Find I rarely if ever get an egg that "leaks" in the water.

This week I am going to boil some eggs. A couple I will peel right away. After that I will peel a couple over several days.
I want to see how long it takes the grey colour to appear around the yolk. I once read it depended on the metal of your pot. Well, I found it didn't make an iota of difference.
I understand it is also a chemical reaction - think that was in Kenji's article but I read it a long time ago... but whatever it was, at the time, I didn't find it made much difference.

...I want to see how long it takes the grey colour to appear around the yolk. I once read it depended on the metal of your pot. Well, I found it didn't make an iota of difference...

The explanations I've heard for the gray/green layer around the yolk is that it happens when you over cook the eggs.

Nope - done perfect eggs, very much like everyone else - still get green/gray.

Eggsample - cook six eggs, cool immediately, peel one and it will be perfect. Next day there will be a slight greyish tinge. Then as the days go by the green/gray gets more intense.

What I want to find out is if I peel them but not cut open - will I have that colour? I read it is a chemical reaction between ...??... and can't remember where I read it. I know that chemical names were used to explain the situation but at the time I wasn't really interested in cause and effect ergo didn't retain in grey cells.

I hate that green color around egg yolks and since I started cooking them in cold water brought to the boil, then covered, turned off and let sit for 10 minutes I've never seen another green one.

Re those eggs: any advice as to changes in method if the eggs are newer/older, and are the eggs room temp before putting in the pot? Does either thing matter at all? Thanks, folks.

Read the article linked above for the Food Lab at Serious Eats. It answers all of those questions and more.

I hate that green color around egg yolks and since I started cooking them in cold water brought to the boil, then covered, turned off and let sit for 10 minutes I've never seen another green one.

Since I almost always peel them after refrigeration, I'll try Kenji's method of of starting with boiling water, then simmer after putting the eggs in it. I'm tired of my peeled eggs looking like they've been through the war. Since he went from 50% good to 90% good that way, I can't see a downside. Since the green/gray layer is connected to overcooking, I think that it can be avoided either way.

Last edited:
Using the Instant Pot to make hard-boiled eggs was a revelation. Pressure-cook them for four minutes, let sit for four minutes, then put them in a bowl of ice water for 10 minutes. Then shake them around to break the shells and shells practically fall off. They're perfect every time.

Since I almost always peel them after refrigeration, I'll try Kenji's method of of starting with boiling water, then simmer after putting the eggs in it. I'm tired of my peeled eggs looking like they've been through the war. Since he went from 50% good to 90% good that way, I can't see a downside. Since the green/gray layer is connected to overcooking, I think that it can be avoided either way.

I'm also a big fan of Kenji so I'm willing to give his method a try as I've never gotten bad advice from him. I generally don't have a problem with the shells as long as they've been in the fridge for a week or more, and I always peel them right after cooling, and then refrigerate.
I will say that if I end up with green yolks from Kenji, I'm back to my method.

Using the Instant Pot to make hard-boiled eggs was a revelation. Pressure-cook them for four minutes, let sit for four minutes, then put them in a bowl of ice water for 10 minutes. Then shake them around to break the shells and shells practically fall off. They're perfect every time.

Yet, Kenji found no advantage to pressure cooking. He found it less desirable.

Yet, Kenji found no advantage to pressure cooking. He found it less desirable.
That's okay. It works great for me. I like and respect Kenji, but I have had a couple fails from him. His caramelized onions in the pressure cooker were pretty nasty, imo. Too sweet and not enough savory, browned flavor.

But how long do you keep your hard boiled eggs before cutting open.

I'm thinking the longer they are in contact (yolk & whites) the sulfur and iron are more liable to do their work for the green. On the other hand, I believe I have a very high content of iron in my well water, which according to the University of ... ermm Nevada (or Nebraska?):ermm: says can also play a part.

But unless you are using the egg for pretty slices - most hard boiled eggs are mashed and/or chopped so who gives a fig! That li'l bit o'green cannot be seen! :mrgreen: (speaking of green)

That's okay. It works great for me. I like and respect Kenji, but I have had a couple fails from him. His caramelized onions in the pressure cooker were pretty nasty, imo. Too sweet and not enough savory, browned flavor.

I'm not surprised GG, I made some onion soup and froze them in individual servings. I was so careful with the carmalizing... but now, after having been frozen for a while... they are so sweet as to be just plain yechy!

I am/was! very disappointed. :(

But how long do you keep your hard boiled eggs before cutting open.

I'm thinking the longer they are in contact (yolk & whites) the sulfur and iron are more liable to do their work for the green. On the other hand, I believe I have a very high content of iron in my well water, which according to the University of ... ermm Nevada (or Nebraska?):ermm: says can also play a part.

But unless you are using the egg for pretty slices - most hard boiled eggs are mashed and/or chopped so who gives a fig! That li'l bit o'green cannot be seen! :mrgreen: (speaking of green)

Yep... not about to lose any sleep over it. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom