"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Re those eggs: any advice as to changes in method if the eggs are newer/older, and are the eggs room temp before putting in the pot? Does either thing matter at all? Thanks, folks.
TL, both those factors are addressed in the Serious Eats article. It's interesting and worth reading. I'm going to try that method next time.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 AM   #22
Head Chef

Sorry. I'll go back and read it now. Thanks for the affable answer, Andy.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
This gadget would help with peeling stubborn shells, but I tried a small teaspoon by doing the same and it worked well too.

I have been using a spoon for probably ten years now. Be sure to crack the shell all over for best results and when you first start off dip the spoon in water. As with any method start with the air pocket.

. A fellow forum member from a chicken site showed me.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #24
Executive Chef

I also pierce the air pocket. Find I rarely if ever get an egg that "leaks" in the water.

This week I am going to boil some eggs. A couple I will peel right away. After that I will peel a couple over several days.
I want to see how long it takes the grey colour to appear around the yolk. I once read it depended on the metal of your pot. Well, I found it didn't make an iota of difference.
I understand it is also a chemical reaction - think that was in Kenji's article but I read it a long time ago... but whatever it was, at the time, I didn't find it made much difference.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
...I want to see how long it takes the grey colour to appear around the yolk. I once read it depended on the metal of your pot. Well, I found it didn't make an iota of difference...

The explanations I've heard for the gray/green layer around the yolk is that it happens when you over cook the eggs.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Nope - done perfect eggs, very much like everyone else - still get green/gray.

Eggsample - cook six eggs, cool immediately, peel one and it will be perfect. Next day there will be a slight greyish tinge. Then as the days go by the green/gray gets more intense.

What I want to find out is if I peel them but not cut open - will I have that colour? I read it is a chemical reaction between ...??... and can't remember where I read it. I know that chemical names were used to explain the situation but at the time I wasn't really interested in cause and effect ergo didn't retain in grey cells.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

I've never had yolks tun color after refrigeration.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I want to see how long it takes the grey colour to appear around the yolk. I once read it depended on the metal of your pot. Well, I found it didn't make an iota of difference.
According to the American Egg Board, it's from cooking too long or too hot.

https://www.incredibleegg.org/cookin...gs-turn-green/

I assume the same applies north of the border
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

I hate that green color around egg yolks and since I started cooking them in cold water brought to the boil, then covered, turned off and let sit for 10 minutes I've never seen another green one.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Re those eggs: any advice as to changes in method if the eggs are newer/older, and are the eggs room temp before putting in the pot? Does either thing matter at all? Thanks, folks.
Read the article linked above for the Food Lab at Serious Eats. It answers all of those questions and more.

Tags
egg, eggs, oil