Need help soft boiling eggs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get the eggs warmed up to room temperature by letting them float in a container of warm to the touch water (not hot) for perhaps 30 minutes. That is primarily to get them to a temperature that the shock of being plunged into boiling water won't fracture the eggs and cause the white to come out and try to become a poached egg.

I don't worry about cracking when I make soft cooked eggs as the eggs go in the water before it is heated, they can go straight from fridge to water. They get warmed up while the water heats then 5 minutes after the first bloop of a boil they are done. With a small pot I have likely cooked and eaten before your eggs are getting into the boiling water.

I always was told to start room-temp eggs in cold water to avoid having the eggs crack and to add a bit of vinegar to the water. I use "hen temperature" eggs for my sb eggs. When incubating, 102.5 F is the ideal temperature...in other words, I grab the warmest eggs out of the nest box and use those. But otherwise, I have brought to room temp by having out of the fridge or in warm water.

I actually lower cold eggs into boiling water and I've never had one crack. I use dark fresh eggs, and I do wash them in hot water first, so maybe that brings them close enough to room temp so that it works. I just lower it gently...

Skittle68 said:
I actually lower cold eggs into boiling water and I've never had one crack. I use dark fresh eggs, and I do wash them in hot water first, so maybe that brings them close enough to room temp so that it works. I just lower it gently...

Farm* fresh. Silly autocorrect.

Back
Top Bottom