"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
Master Chef
Eggs straight from the fridge and into a 2 quart pot with cold tap water filling an inch above the eggs. Turn flame to medium and heat until the water just starts to bubble. Set timer for 2 minutes and 32 seconds, and let simmer at a low boil. Teh water temp is the same at a low boil as it is at a hard boil, so that makes no difference, but keeps the eggs from jostling around and cracking. When the timer goes off, remove the pan from heat, drain the hot water, and crack the egg shell by bouncing gently in the pan. Fill the pan with cold water, letting the water overflow the pan for about a minute. Remove the eggs and peel. Rinse and place on hot, buttered toast. Egg whites are cooked through, with a runny yolk.

Perfect poached egg. Bring salted water to a boil, then turn down the heat until the water quits boiling, and is still. Use AA grade large eggs as the yolk stands up better. Carefully break egg into the water, right at the water. Let set for a moment before adding a 2nd egg. The water is still hot enough to cook the egg, but the egg stays together in the unmoving water. Cook for about 3 minutes. Test with a spoon to make sure the egg white is set. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on top of toasted, buttered English muffin.

Perfect poached egg #2 - Fill dedicated poaching pan with 1.5 inches of water. Remove the egg cups from the cup holder and smear with a generous amount of butter. Break room-temperature eggs into the cups and place back into the cup holder. When the water is boiling in the pan, put the egg cups back into the cup holders. Cover and cook until the whites are just firm and the yolk is still runny. Remove from the cup holders to toasted English muffin that has been covered with your favorite melting cheese. Serve hot with S&P. You can also use either of these poached eggs to make Eggs Benedict.

Sunny side up eggs you already know. But for a pink-top egg, use the same technique as for a sunny side up egg. For the last 30 seconds of cooking, add 2 tbs. of water to the hot pan and cover. Remove the lide after the thirty seconds have passed for a perfectly pink covering on the yolk.

Basted egg is made by frying the egg in bacon or sausage grease, and spooning the hot grease over the egg top until the white is set and the top is pink. S&P to taste.

Basted egg with crispy edges - same as above, but over medium high heat.

That's more than four techniques here, but then, how else would I earn my moniker - Chief Longwind?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Master Chef
Site Administrator
This site has everything you need to know:

Hard Boiled Eggs, How To Make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Hard Boiled Eggs Recipe, How to Boil Eggs, Hard Boil Eggs, Boil Egg, Boiling Eggs, Easter Egg Safety, How to Soft Boil Eggs

Nice timing chart, works for me every time. Just make sure your pot is big enough for the eggs, but not too roomy.

"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Y'all need to hush!
I gotta go run some errands and ain't got the time just now to do this!!! And, wouldn't ya know.....I am hungry again!!!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
Head Chef
Sunny side is a dippy egg? With a pink top? Where does the pink come from?

A dippy egg here is a soft boiled egg.

Confused? You will be.
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef
Sunny side is a fried egg that doesn't get flipped over so you can see the yellow yolk on the plate.

Tom, add either vinegar or lemon to the poaching water. The acid speeds setting of the white. If you put the raw egg into a little vortex created by a spoon handle or similar it tends to keep the white from spreading around.

I once saw Jacques Pepin do poached eggs and his were neat because he trimmed them with a paring knife after taking them out of the water.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #16
Head Chef
I never flip my fried eggs so hurray I can already do sunny side up !

Life is seriously too short for trimming them!! You could put them in a ring or something if you desperately wanted them to be neat.
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Now you will have to try out all the individual methods Bucktooth.

I do soft boiled eggs all of the time.

I keep eggs out of the fridge, so straight into a pan of cold water.

Bring to boil. Lower heat to a good simmer.

Depending on size of egg - time to at least 4 minutes. ( I use large eggs so 4 minutes).
Exactly what I do too.
Find that much easier and quicker than putting eggs in boiling water and risking cracks.

I also always shock them in cold water when they are done to make the shell come off nicely (if you're gonna peel them).
Bolledeig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #18
Head Chef
Like everyone else said. I am going to try a different method, just for the heck of it. I do my hard boiled eggs this way and they are perfect every time.

I will place the eggs in a pan with enough cold water to cover. then bring to a boil, turn off the heat and cover the pan. let stand for about 8 mins (12-15 for hard boiled). Remove them from the pan and run under cold water until you can handle them. Do what you will with them after that. Personally, I like to put them in an egg cup and take the top of the shell off and enjoy.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
What have you had for breakfast lately?

I cook my soft-boiled eggs for 3 minutes and then submerge in ice water, crack the top off. But, I like my yolks runny.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
Sorry--my pics turned out as crap. But, I did this today:

2 fresh eggs (these were fresh today) washed (so these would be body/room temp)
Enough water to cover the eggs x 1/2 egg height
1/2 c white vinegar
bring the water to a soft boil (that took about 2 minutes) on high
let the water softly boil (a rolling boil that you can stir down) for 3 minuites
Drain, cover the eggs with ice water for 1 minute
Crack the top off, and scoop out.

I put mine on top of a bed of steamed kale with chickpeas, and had a side of quinoa.

Perfect soft-boiled eggs if you like the yolks runny. If not, cook for 4-5 minutes once the water starts to roll. If you let them cook longer, you're on your way to a perfect hb egg.

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote