"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oh, there's nothing like a runny yolked, ss up egg over a medium rare steak.

the yolk becomes a decadent sauce for the meat as you cut into it.

Try this by cooking the egg in hot oil instead of water, the crispy white and the runny yolk are a great combination. You can see Jacques Pepin preparing these on UTube.

I could use some tips on how to get a soft boiled egg open to eat without making a mess and getting bits of the shell into it.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #52
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I decided I need to make soft eggs this morning for breakfast (thanks to this thread).

I used the technique from the link I listed up top and it was flawless. Put the eggs in a small pot, covered with water and brought to a boil. Once the bloops started cover, turn off and 5 minutes (these are extra large). Dunk in an ice bath... perfect.

This is about the simplest way I have seen going. Eggs straight from the fridge, no need to warm them up, no shocking them in boiling water.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #53
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I once asked a scouse girl in a night club how she liked her eggs for breakfast, she replied un fertilized and nutted me.

I remember you now!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Soft boiled eggs are 3-5 minutes in a rolling boil here. Depends on your altitude how long to cook 'em. I have egg cups for mine so they get pulled out, popped into an egg cup and I whack the top off with a knife. Dip those toast fingers and chow down!

Side note: When my youngest was about 5 or 6 she once came home for lunch and ate 7 soft boiled eggs with toast! Considering she didn't break 50lbs til she was in about grade 3...that's a LOT of eggs for a little girl!
What a Girl she is a sweetie just like mom.
kades
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

After reading all this, I think I'll just stick with my egg poacher. Butter the cups or spray with Pam put in egg, this is after I fill the pan part , part way with cold water. Turn on the gas cover the pan with lid and let her go, a soft slow simmer. Now pop the bread in the toaster, and we are almost set to eat.
kades
Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Like everyone else said. I am going to try a different method, just for the heck of it. I do my hard boiled eggs this way and they are perfect every time.

I will place the eggs in a pan with enough cold water to cover. then bring to a boil, turn off the heat and cover the pan. let stand for about 8 mins (12-15 for hard boiled). Remove them from the pan and run under cold water until you can handle them. Do what you will with them after that. Personally, I like to put them in an egg cup and take the top of the shell off and enjoy.
I do mine exactly this way, although I only let them stand for 6 minutes instead of 8. They are perfectly cooked every time, and no risk of the egg cracking in boiling water. This method is really as fool proof as you can get. To get them out of the shell, I break them in half with the back of a knife over a bowl with buttered toast bits, and scoop out the egg from the shell over the toast bits. Season with seasoned salt and pepper. Yumm.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #57
Executive Chef

I recall soft boiled eggs referred to as "three minute eggs." It seems to me that the traditional method of cooking soft boiled eggs takes exactly that, 3 minutes.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

To get the egg out of the shell--I top the more pointed end (this is where the air pocket develops as the egg cures--farm fresh eggs have more moisture than those that have cured so won't have the airpocket unless left to cure 2-3 weeks in the fridge) with a butter knife and use the shell as the egg cup...or, I scoop out and put in a small bowl, add s&p and stir it up. I tend to eat mine with greens and grains, so no toast here.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

once again, thanks to everyone for some great info, ideas, and stories.

we have our egg cook off planned for either sunday or monday, when i start my vacation.

lots of different methods to mull over.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
once again, thanks to everyone for some great info, ideas, and stories.

we have our egg cook off planned for either sunday or monday, when i start my vacation.

lots of different methods to mull over.
Don't forget the egg shampoo. And remember, your wife will thank you.

Seeeeeya; And I'm not saying who I am.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggs