Need help soft boiling eggs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we had our soft boiled eggs-periment this morning.

after trying a few different methods with most failures undercooked (that ended up becoming fried eggs for the pets), we settled on one method: bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, turn off heat, carefully lower eggs into water. set timer for 8 minutes for extra large eggs. after 8 minutes, remove eggs, rinse under cold water, then put in egg cups (i don't have egg cups social we used shot glasses) :)

using an exceedingly sharp knife, cut the egg just about 1/3rd of the way down cleanly through.

some we ate over home fries; others just by spooning onto toast.

once we got it down, we had an eggcellent breakfast.

thanks again to everyone for their help.

lol, the funniest time today was when we were happy with our first success, and my boy said, "hey y'all. put some south in your mouth!".

i laughed and asked where in the world he heard that, and he said he watched paula deen on "master chef" the other day. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
we had our soft boiled eggs-periment this morning.

after trying a few different methods with most failures undercooked (that ended up becoming fried eggs for the pets), we settled on one method: bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, turn off heat, carefully lower eggs into water. set timer for 8 minutes for extra large eggs. after 8 minutes, remove eggs, rinse under cold water, then put in egg cups (i don't have egg cups social we used shot glasses) :)

using an exceedingly sharp knife, cut the egg just about 1/3rd of the way down cleanly through.

some we ate over home fries; others just by spooning onto toast.

once we got it down, we had an eggcellent breakfast.

thanks again to everyone for their help.

lol, the funniest time today was when we were happy with our first success, and my boy said, "hey y'all. put some south in your mouth!".

i laughed and asked where in the world he heard that, and he said he watched paula deen on "master chef" the other day. :rolleyes:
sounds like you were all eggstatic....that's also what happens if you eat too many;)!! enjoy your holiday tom

Good job Bucky!! I use the boliing water method but only leave my large egs in for 2 minutes then cool.

Buckytom...shot glasses! What a great idea - I may have to steal that until I get some cute little egg cups. :)

Glad the end result was what you had hoped for. And bucky jr. sounds like a delightful little guy. :LOL: :wub: Enjoy your vacation!

Buckytom...shot glasses! What a great idea - I may have to steal that until I get some cute little egg cups. :)

Glad the end result was what you had hoped for. And bucky jr. sounds like a delightful little guy. :LOL: :wub: Enjoy your vacation!
I have egg cups, but only one shot glass! I prefer poached over soft boiled...and I love coddled eggs...have no idea where my egg coddlers are...I'm sure I'll find them someday.

I have egg cups, but only one shot glass! I prefer poached over soft boiled...and I love coddled eggs...have no idea where my egg coddlers are...I'm sure I'll find them someday.

I guess you could use the egg cups to serve shots...

I use the boiling water method too. I used to poke a hole in the big end to prevent cracking, but if you lower them gently the risk seems to be pretty low. I've never had one crack. I usually do hard boiled because I normally toss the yolk, but I LOVE runny yolk so I'll have to try this some time. I like the boiling water method because the timing seems to be more precise and the eggs never get tough.

I like the boiling water method because the timing seems to be more precise and the eggs never get tough.

Me too. There is a term "3 minute egg" and it always works for me. Room temperature egg, spoon to gentle it into the boiling water, three minutes at low boil.

Crack the egg and use a spoon to scoop it out and put it over your toast! :)

i guess my 3 minutes turned into 8 because the eggs i used were very cold, right from one of the coldest parts of the fridge.

btw, when everyone says "boiling method", do they mean to keep the water boiling while the eggs cook, or to bring the water to a rolling boil, shut off the heat so the boiling effectively stops, then put the eggs in the water for the prescribed time?

buckytom said:
i guess my 3 minutes turned into 8 because the eggs i used were very cold, right from one of the coldest parts of the fridge.

btw, when everyone says "boiling method", do they mean to keep the water boiling while the eggs cook, or to bring the water to a rolling boil, shut off the heat so the boiling effectively stops, then put the eggs in the water for the prescribed time?

I always turn it to low and cover them so they stay at boiling temp, but aren't bouncing around at a roiling boil

I hope we won't get into a long discussion about high-medium-low boil and high-medium-low simmer... ;)

I get the eggs warmed up to room temperature by letting them float in a container of warm to the touch water (not hot) for perhaps 30 minutes. That is primarily to get them to a temperature that the shock of being plunged into boiling water won't fracture the eggs and cause the white to come out and try to become a poached egg.

I bring the pot of water to a mild boil, then drop the eggs in. I start the timer. (I actually used to have an hour glass with sand to time it.) The water stops boiling for a bit but when it resumes low boil I turn down the heat so that it won't continue on to a full boil.

Three minutes and it's done. I like my eggs on the runny side of which most people prefer.

The choices with my method are 3, 4 or 5 minutes. YMMV

what temp is " warm to the touch"?

lol, just kidding.

you can calculate 3 minutes out of an hour glass timer... wow!

buckytom said:

lol, just kidding.

Lol... You're in the wrong thread! The funnys are over there!

lol, just kidding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hourglass

Three minute egg timer:
80px-Egg_timer.jpg

image courtesy Wikipedia commons

Don't make me angry or I'll go off in a huff. Actually I used to own a '74 Huff. Now I've got a '94 Ample. I always park where there's Ample parking.

Who is Henny Youngman? ... Never mind, I'll Google it.

Meanwhile somebody needs to fwap BT.

He probably had some skit involving Ample parking. (Youngman, not BT.) I prolly heard it or a takeoff on it.

I'm a funny guy with a sense of humor but I'm not capable of writing my own humor. Otherwise I would be writing for late night TV and I'd be living in the Hollywood Hills instead of a dump.

Back
Top Bottom