"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
We would love to see pictures of hens "driving" the tractors. Do they do yard work too?
Funny you should ask--I finally figured out if I put the food scraps in a certain area, they'd scratch and peck. I have them cleaning out a patch of weeds next to the barn right now. It'll probably take a few days, but before too long, they should have it down to bare ground. I read an article a long time ago about a "chicken tiller." Basically, it was a moveable wire box on skids that you positioned where you wanted the weeds, etc. removed, put the chickens in, and let them do their thing.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm stumped for names for the new girls--we have Henny and Penny (because we can't tell two of the barred PRs apart), Silly Milly (the PR that ran away for 36 hours), and the rooster--Cocky Rocky (evident how that name came about); Harriet and Myrtle, Agatha and Prudence. I am thinking one of the new RIRs has to be named Scarlett. The other names that come to mind are Pearl, Henrietta (Hattie for short), Hazel, Edith, and Alma. But, there are NINE of them. Anyone want to offer suggestions? Or, should they be named using a letter (my choice would be "Q").

Old 10-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I'm stumped for names for the new girls--we have Henny and Penny (because we can't tell two of the barred PRs apart), Silly Milly (the PR that ran away for 36 hours), and the rooster--Cocky Rocky (evident how that name came about); Harriet and Myrtle, Agatha and Prudence. I am thinking one of the new RIRs has to be named Scarlett. The other names that come to mind are Pearl, Henrietta (Hattie for short), Hazel, Edith, and Alma. But, there are NINE of them. Anyone want to offer suggestions? Or, should they be named using a letter (my choice would be "Q").
I will offer some of my elderly relatives' names: Gladys, Mabel, Clara, Beuhla, Agnes, Bertha.

I have become a chicken fan! Love the stories.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Dawglover! I'll put Gladys and Mabel in the pool (my DH has to have a say). I rejected Bertha because that was the name we called the HUGE white oak my DH used for the woodwork in the bathroom (he has a sawmill and this log was HUGE, hence, big Bertha was it's name). Agnes is too close to Agatha <g>. I'm also rejecting names of my great aunts. I don't want to offend anyone!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #95
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Thanks Dawglover! I'll put Gladys and Mabel in the pool (my DH has to have a say). I rejected Bertha because that was the name we called the HUGE white oak my DH used for the woodwork in the bathroom (he has a sawmill and this log was HUGE, hence, big Bertha was it's name). Agnes is too close to Agatha <g>. I'm also rejecting names of my great aunts. I don't want to offend anyone!
Do you have Hazel and Elsie? Elsie was my beloved Great-Grandmother's name.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #96
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Funny you should ask--I finally figured out if I put the food scraps in a certain area, they'd scratch and peck. I have them cleaning out a patch of weeds next to the barn right now. It'll probably take a few days, but before too long, they should have it down to bare ground. I read an article a long time ago about a "chicken tiller." Basically, it was a moveable wire box on skids that you positioned where you wanted the weeds, etc. removed, put the chickens in, and let them do their thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1499584897.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	12180

Name:	image-852071681.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	12181

Name:	image-4276524443.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	12182

Right! Like this. I took these pictures for a friend who needed to be able to move chickens around a small yard. They had them for sale at Big R, but I think they are going to make one.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Do you have Hazel and Elsie? Elsie was my beloved Great-Grandmother's name.
Hazel's on the list, Elsie wasn't...I had a very good "older" friend who lived in Eastern MT named Elsie...she taught me the secret of making perfect lefse everytime! Baking soda--just a tad.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #98
Chef Extraordinaire

The target feeding is going well. I'm moving them to another "patch" I want cleared tomorrow.

And, egg production is up 50% here at the "chicken factory." Two of the barred Plymouth Rocks started laying this week. The eggs are--x-small, but two are laying, so egg production is up and two of the three PRs are SAFE--not that Silly Millie is feeling any pressure...dial 555-5553 if you want to vote to save Silly Millie.

Henny and Penny will not be transferred to the "stew pot" production line. (A division of the "chicken factory" that has not been implemented, yet).

I haven't cracked the little eggs yet to see if they are yolk-free or not. Stay tuned!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #99
Executive Chef

Too funny CWS...as I was reading the beginning of your last post I was wondering if they were yolk free or not.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #100
Head Chef

When my son lived just on the fringes between suburbia and rural country, one day a hen appeared and took up residence under the bougainvillea in the front yard. They put out water for her and she was around for a couple of weeks, then just disappeared. There are coons, possums, etc. around here, so there's no telling what happened to her. She never laid any eggs. Her name was Gertie.

Tags
None