"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #141
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy

Blood Spots

Blood or "meat" spots are occasionally found on an egg yolk. These tiny red or red-brown spots are not harmful. They are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during formation of the egg. Blood spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Candling reveals most blood spots and those eggs are removed, but even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. If desired, the spot can be removed with the tip of a clean knife prior to cooking. These eggs are safe to eat.
Thanks, Timothy, I just assumed they meant the eggs were fertilized.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #142
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Blood Spots

Blood or "meat" spots are occasionally found on an egg yolk. These tiny red or red-brown spots are not harmful. They are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during formation of the egg. Blood spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Candling reveals most blood spots and those eggs are removed, but even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. If desired, the spot can be removed with the tip of a clean knife prior to cooking. These eggs are safe to eat.
Have you asked the seller what the hens eat? If they are free range? How they are housed? Maybe blood spots are a sign of stress...between us, I'd gander a guess that my hens are happy hens and happy hens lay nice FRESH eggs....just my guess...It's kinda cute when I go out to lock them down for the night...I say "Harriet, Myrtle, where are you?" No matter where they are (hunting for grubs in that patch plowed for "chicken corn" next summer or checking out the "field" garden) they come running. I laugh at them--if you haven't seen chickens run, they are quite comical. And, when all 7 hens follow me back to the barn, I swear, it sounds as if I'm at the Calgary Stampede...they really can run very fast and make a lot of noise--not to mention they attack their evening treat as if they hadn't been free-ranging all day and had, instead, been locked up in a very small coop. Chickens, oops, hens, are really fun! And easy! See, I worked in a Chicken Chronicles story in my answer to a legit question.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #143
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thank goodness! CWS, I have been missing my chicken fix!

Now we need a Patron update, and my evening will be complete!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #144
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thank goodness! CWS, I have been missing my chicken fix!

Now we need a Patron update, and my evening will be complete!
Patron will be in the office tomorrow. He's learning fast our route through the facility when we go out on errands. It takes me 20 minutes to walk all the halls...he is done in when we get back to the office. He has made it to 1.9 pounds @ 4 1/2 weeks old. I'll try to get a picture of him tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #145
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Patron will be in the office tomorrow. He's learning fast our route through the facility when we go out on errands. It takes me 20 minutes to walk all the halls...he is done in when we get back to the office. He has made it to 1.9 pounds @ 4 1/2 weeks old. I'll try to get a picture of him tomorrow.
Thanks, PF! Can't wait to see him again!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #146
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks, Timothy, I just assumed they meant the eggs were fertilized.
You're very welcome. When I was a youngster, I was told that it meant they were fertilized also. According to the link I offered, that isn't true. That may or may not be true.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #147
Chef Extraordinaire

Blood spots are stress--not a sign that the eggs are fertilized/not fertilized. The only thing I was told re: fertilzed eggs (when I brought Cocky Rocky home) was that I would want to collect them every day. Tastewise, I can't tell a difference between the eggs from the "originals" and the eggs from the "newbies". Cocky Rocky only has access to the originals. I also read it takes 21 days after fertilization before you can hatch the eggs/hens will, but broody hens are not a given. I have one--she doesn't come out of the coop and will stay in the nesting box all day--she's the one who will be hatching the barred Plymouth Rock eggs next spring!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #148
Head Chef

Ahhh. Chicken news. What a stress reliever.

And looking forward to Patron the Puppie pix.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #149
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
You're very welcome. When I was a youngster, I was told that it meant they were fertilized also. According to the link I offered, that isn't true. That may or may not be true.
It is true. Fertilized egg would have one big chunk of blood, though even that may not always be a sign of fertilization. I was talking about really small dots of blood on organic eggs. Most eggs in the store do not have any spots. I now understand that they check them with some kind of light before shipping. Farmers obviously do not do that.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #150
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Climbing Mt Fiona

Here is the parrot dog, coming down off my shoulder to check out what's going on outside.

He was having fun in the leaves today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Patron and mE.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	12287  

Tags
None