No yolk!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Timothy said:
Blood Spots

Blood or "meat" spots are occasionally found on an egg yolk. These tiny red or red-brown spots are not harmful. They are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during formation of the egg. Blood spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Candling reveals most blood spots and those eggs are removed, but even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. If desired, the spot can be removed with the tip of a clean knife prior to cooking. These eggs are safe to eat.

Thanks, Timothy, I just assumed they meant the eggs were fertilized.

Blood Spots

Blood or "meat" spots are occasionally found on an egg yolk. These tiny red or red-brown spots are not harmful. They are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during formation of the egg. Blood spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Candling reveals most blood spots and those eggs are removed, but even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. If desired, the spot can be removed with the tip of a clean knife prior to cooking. These eggs are safe to eat.

Have you asked the seller what the hens eat? If they are free range? How they are housed? Maybe blood spots are a sign of stress...between us, I'd gander a guess that my hens are happy hens and happy hens lay nice FRESH eggs....just my guess...It's kinda cute when I go out to lock them down for the night...I say "Harriet, Myrtle, where are you?" No matter where they are (hunting for grubs in that patch plowed for "chicken corn" next summer or checking out the "field" garden) they come running. I laugh at them--if you haven't seen chickens run, they are quite comical. And, when all 7 hens follow me back to the barn, I swear, it sounds as if I'm at the Calgary Stampede...they really can run very fast and make a lot of noise--not to mention they attack their evening treat as if they hadn't been free-ranging all day and had, instead, been locked up in a very small coop. Chickens, oops, hens, are really fun! And easy! See, I worked in a Chicken Chronicles story in my answer to a legit question.

Thank goodness! CWS, I have been missing my chicken fix!

Now we need a Patron update, and my evening will be complete!

Thank goodness! CWS, I have been missing my chicken fix!

Now we need a Patron update, and my evening will be complete!

Patron will be in the office tomorrow. He's learning fast our route through the facility when we go out on errands. It takes me 20 minutes to walk all the halls...he is done in when we get back to the office. He has made it to 1.9 pounds @ 4 1/2 weeks old. I'll try to get a picture of him tomorrow.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Patron will be in the office tomorrow. He's learning fast our route through the facility when we go out on errands. It takes me 20 minutes to walk all the halls...he is done in when we get back to the office. He has made it to 1.9 pounds @ 4 1/2 weeks old. I'll try to get a picture of him tomorrow.

Thanks, PF! Can't wait to see him again!

Blood spots are stress--not a sign that the eggs are fertilized/not fertilized. The only thing I was told re: fertilzed eggs (when I brought Cocky Rocky home) was that I would want to collect them every day. Tastewise, I can't tell a difference between the eggs from the "originals" and the eggs from the "newbies". Cocky Rocky only has access to the originals. I also read it takes 21 days after fertilization before you can hatch the eggs/hens will, but broody hens are not a given. I have one--she doesn't come out of the coop and will stay in the nesting box all day--she's the one who will be hatching the barred Plymouth Rock eggs next spring!

You're very welcome. When I was a youngster, I was told that it meant they were fertilized also. According to the link I offered, that isn't true. That may or may not be true.

It is true. Fertilized egg would have one big chunk of blood, though even that may not always be a sign of fertilization. I was talking about really small dots of blood on organic eggs. Most eggs in the store do not have any spots. I now understand that they check them with some kind of light before shipping. Farmers obviously do not do that.

Climbing Mt Fiona

Here is the parrot dog, coming down off my shoulder to check out what's going on outside.

He was having fun in the leaves today.

Attachments

• Patron and mE.jpg
    Patron and mE.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 187
PrincessFiona60 said:
Here is the parrot dog, coming down off my shoulder to check out what's going on outside.

He was having fun in the leaves today.

Awww, Patron! Another shoulder pet! He should meet CWS's Harriet.

Does he bark, Princess?

Awww, Patron! Another shoulder pet! He should meet CWS's Harriet.

Does he bark, Princess?

Yes, he has discovered barking. The first time he barked he scared himself. He will chase people out of the office now...as long as they are leaving, he is very brave:LOL:

We have found, we can leave the office door open and he won't take off, unless my boss or I leave. Then he just follows us around...like a dog!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom