"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I would have a really hard time with that. Would probably have the girls sleeping with me. DH would not approve.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #52
Master Chef

Mom always called eggs with a blood spot in them "fertilized" eggs. I think she threw them away (trust me, if we were going hungry she would not have done that). But she often bought eggs unrefridgerated, farm eggs that needed to be cleaned before cracking.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #53
Senior Cook

I don't refrigerate my hens' eggs, but then I know how old they are! I am not sure that I would buy eggs from someone who claims they are fresh (though not refrigerated).
Old 09-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #54
Head Chef

You guys brought back a long buried memory for me. When I was in the second grade we moved to a new neighborhood and I went to a new school. I met a girl named Elizabeth who lived in my neighborhood. She told me where she lived and invited me over and when I got brave enough to go I noticed that her home was different from all of the others in the neighborhood, much smaller and older and surrounded by a funny looking old wire fence. I walked up to the gate and was about to go in when I spotted about a dozen chickens roaming around. Well as a city girl it's a wonder that I even knew that they were chickens. I stood at the gate looking in for what seemed like hours. I was so afraid that those animals would attack me if I ventured in. Eventually Elizabeth's mother came to the door and told me that I could come in, the chicken's wouldn't hurt me. I must have been desperate for the companionship of a friend because that walk from the gate to the door was like a walk on death row but I did it anyway. We were friends for many years but I never got completely used to entering their yard. And it was years later that I learned that they had to clip the chickens wings to keep them from roosting in the telephone lines. Then I laid awake for weeks hoping they never missed clipping a chickens wings. After all I only lived a block away. If they could fly, they could come after me!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Well, that's a great tale for sure! I think we all remember stuff that happened as kids where we now can't understand why we were so darn terrified. We had a bull named Ferdinand and even tho he was behind a fence, I would walk 1/2 mile out of the way just to not have him looking at me as he paced the edge of his enclosure. Pure cold terror.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae
Well, that's a great tale for sure! I think we all remember stuff that happened as kids where we now can't understand why we were so darn terrified. We had a bull named Ferdinand and even tho he was behind a fence, I would walk 1/2 mile out of the way just to not have him looking at me as he paced the edge of his enclosure. Pure cold terror.
We used to cut across a pasture when I was a kid. It was quite a short cut for us. The only thing was that there was a bull in the pasture, so you had to make sure that he wasn't too close, and then you had to run like heck to get across and back over the fence. He never caught us, but he came pretty close a time or two.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #57
Senior Cook

Yes, it IS true about bulls: they run after people!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #58
Head Chef

Claire, a lot of people think that a blood spot means the egg is fertilized. And I think most folks toss them because it is not a normal egg--even though the little bit of blood is harmless. Jews who keep kosher definitely toss them--an egg is not kosher if it has a blood spot.

There can also be little brown specks in the egg--those are called 'meat spots' and also come from the hen's reproductive tract--they are a little bit of tissue that sloughed off and became incorporated into the egg.

About bulls--if I have to tell one more adult that horns do not mean that an animal is a bull, I am going to scream. Mama cows can have horns, too. Most cattle nowadays are 'polled' (hornless). If you want to know whether it is a bull or a cow, you have to look underneath, not on top of their heads.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #59
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
...If you want to know whether it is a bull or a cow, you have to look underneath, not on top of their heads.

If it has horns and is chasing me across a pasture, I'm not going to stop to "look underneath".
Old 09-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

If it has horns and is chasing me across a pasture, I'm not going to stop to "look underneath".
Well, we already knew it was a very BIG bull. We knew him well from our side of the fence! Growing up a farm girl, I knew how to look to see if was a bull. Some bulls you don't have to get real close to tell, if you know what I mean............it had a ring in his nose!!!! Lol!

Tags
None