"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
now if we could just figure out how to train a cat. i believe they know what we are saying but just don't care.
Babe, you won't believe this, but we had a stray cat who adopted us, and would follow my husband like a dog. He would sit and stay on command. He heeled better than the dogs. Since he was a stray, and our dogs didn't care for cats, we gave him to a friend, who lived out of town. Unfortunately, Chester was an outdoor cat, so my friend had to give him up after receiving too many loose cat tickets. I am hoping he got to go to a nice farm somewhere.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

You can clicker-train cats--it just takes more time than dogs, but less time than chickens. Speaking of which, I was worried the Buffs wouldn't come back tonight (we got them last Friday). When I went to lock the hens down, the two Buffs were there as well. Yes, I did thumb my nose at the skunks, raccoons, foxes, and coyotes in the bush as I walked back to the house from the barn.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

I guess it is true that diamonds are a girl's best friend--the hens peck at my rings! I've taken to taking then off before I go out and see them. Funny little things.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I guess it is true that diamonds are a girl's best friend--the hens peck at my rings! I've taken to taking then off before I go out and see them.
Apparently, they fancy themselves as crows. And obviously have good taste!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #75
Head Chef

Again with the eggs -- I think it's true that in situations where there is no reliable refrigeration that eggs are preserved by coating them with petroleum jelly, which retards intake of oxygen through the shell.

We had a couple of feather-footed hens who loved crawfish out of our pond. Of course, I had to dip-net the crawfish, so we know who was trained here, don't we?
Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

About as well-trained as my girls have me--you won't see them out with a flashlight looking for earthworms.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #77
Senior Cook

Refrigeration isn't necessary at normal room temperatures for a week or more. We never refrigerated our eggs at home on the farm, nor do I now, unless the weather is terribly hot and the house is, also. Never have I seen a semideveloped chick inside our fertile eggs.

I place older eggs into a bowl of water and if they float (they never do), then I'd put them outside for the crows to dispose of.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Daizymae--I was under the impression if the eggs were fertilized eggs, they had to be refrigerated; otherwise, they could be kept in a cool place? I wasn't refrigerating the eggs until the rooster matured, now I have been. I also don't wash my eggs--the girls lay clean eggs, so I just dust a speck or two of wood shavings off one egg (I only have 2 layers) and we're "good to go."
Old 09-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #79
Senior Cook

I guess there's different opinions on this; I have heard that if you want the eggs to hatch (ie, in an incubator) you should not refrigerate them first. Well, I refrigerated a bunch of eggs and had no trouble selling them to someone who subsequently stuck them into an incubator and they got many healthy chicks. Probably there's a variety of opinions. But I have an instinct to place the eggs in a cool or cold place when, as I have mentioned, we are having a period of really hot weather.

I don't wash my eggs, either. Apparently they have a natural coating that acts as a sort of "preservative" and there's no need to remove that.

Best of luck with your chickens and eggs!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Daizymae! My DH wasn't too keen on the idea of chickens. Now he thinks we should add yet a couple of more! I'm still trying to convince the Plymouth Rocks to start laying...hoping the golf balls in the nesting box help!

Tags
None