Not eggs again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
OK. I'm still trying to decide what's for dinner, so I had a little snack in the meantime :) Half a dozen hard cooked eggs. A lot has been said about eggs in the past few months and here's what I just encountered.... and my stomach documented.... :ermm:

My five chickens give me a dozen eggs about every 2-1/2 days. That's 2.5 for you metric folk ;)
In my fridge right now I have 5 dozen eggs. I have a dozen on the shelf at room temp that I just pulled out this morning. That's how I keep my eggs for my own use. And I pulled out an eighteen pack this morning because it was the oldest of the bunch and I wanted to hard cook them sometime today.

I filled the pot with cold water to cover the eggs by an inch. None floated. None even wanted to float or had ends turning upward. That says something about how old an egg has to be to be a floater... at least over 17-18 days. And BTW, over the 2-3 days I collect the eggs they are also at room temp before refrigerating them.

Bring water to boil.
Turn down to a simmer and cover for 15 minutes.
Drain and run cold water on them.

These eggs peeled easy and there wasn't any green on six of them (that I can verify at present ;)). This wasn't more than 30 minutes from pulling them off the stove.

And yes, I used the one handed pepper shaker with and matching salt shaker, had a cold one at the ready, and stood there at the counter eating them. They were just a snack after all!
Not to mention drying my hands long enough to snap a pic :-p

Attachments

• hard cooked eggs.jpg
    hard cooked eggs.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 243
Yum, pacanis. They look beautiful. I love eggs cooked in any fashion.

One of my favorites is "Eggs Goldenrod," which is hard-cooked eggs that have had the whites and yolks separated. Chop both and set aside.

Make a medium-thick white sauce, add the chopped egg whites. Serve over toast and sprinkle the chopped egg yolks over as a garnish. Yum!

Sooo...have Eggs Goldenrod for dinner.

Give me the "white sauce" and I might have that tomorrow!

Give me the "white sauce" and I might have that tomorrow!

Easy.

4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
4 Tbsp. butter not margarine
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the flour and butter are fully combined and the mixture bubbles gently. Cook for about 5 minutes.

Then, gradually add the milk, whisking constantly to keep from making lumps. When all the milk has been added, increase the heat until the mixture comes just to a boil. Gotta keep whiskin'. Once the mixture begins to boil, whisk and whisk and whisk until you have a medium-thick sauce. Turn temp down and add salt and pepper to your liking. Add the chopped egg whites and heat through. You're done.

mmmm, a lot like I make my creamed asparagus over toast. It's good to have the quantities, as I never write that stuff down when it comes out.
And you just reminded me I'm out of milk :(

One of my favorites is "Eggs Goldenrod,"

I didn't know it had a proper name. :) For me, it's great comfort food. Thanks for the reminder.

Pacanis, nice picture. My Farmer's Market finally opens this wekend, so I can start buying free range chicken eggs again. You could always pickle some of them.

Thanks.
I hope to get to the store today and the eggs goldenrod could be on my plate today or tomorrow :) I don't think I've been to the store in at least two weeks.... but now that my milk is gone :(
Pickled eggs. I need to hunt down a recipe for that. And I think I can use up some of that white distilled vinegar I have that way, too, unless I have to get the pickling vinegar. I've never pickled anything, so we'll see.

To tell the truth, I was a bit surprised that at 2-1/2 weeks old, they all sank and stayed there. I guess eggs can really last a long time if you are getting them fresh.

The white vinegar will be fine in the pickled eggs. I think I've seen some recipes here, if not I'll post mine. I always check the expiration date on the egg cartons I buy. Sometimes the date can be a month away from when I'm buying them. And, who knows how long they've been sitting on the shelf. I don't mind paying the extra money at the Farmer's Market for ones that are only a few days old.

Pacanis are your eggs alot smaller than store eggs or do you just have really huge hands???
They look so little! Just our size here... ok except for the man.

I didn't know it had a proper name. :) For me, it's great comfort food. Thanks for the reminder.

ditto, sort of. We knew them as eggs ala goldenrod and mom made it for us kids when we were sick. Dad was allergic to eggs so we NEVER had eggs for any meal, unless we were sick and mom made something special for us.

I love eggs, and use a lot of eggs, had 2 fried in bacon grease a few days ago for lunch:). We were briefly chicken holders, but stray dogs mutilated them and we never got any more:(. I can go through a whole lotta eggs:)

Hey Pacanis... what is the beverage you got in the pic with ya? Is that beer?

Yes sattie, it is beer.
And if you'll notice..... it is one beer. It's not like I have 3 or 4 drinks sitting there in front of me. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Suzi, I think a little has to do with distortion, it seems like digital cams like to blow up nearby objects, but I have one chicken that lays what I would call a medium egg. The rest are at least large, possibly jumbo. I know that was one of the small ones.
I never get any double yolkers, though. And that's fine with me.

Suzi, I think a little has to do with distortion,

I guessing it has to do with perspective, too? How high is your hand holding the egg above the plate of eggs? maybe at least 12 inches? or more? The eggs do not look small (or medium) to me because I saw it in perspective.

Poor Chinese college students (like myself) have fried eggs over rice for dinner! You might try it sometime, its quite good, it might even be a comfort food, I'm not sure about that.

You just fry some eggs and when they're almost done, add a little soy sauce to the pan so it can heat up, and you pour the whole thing over a bowl of rice. Its even better when the eggs are still runny so it can run out all over the rice.

Yes sattie, it is beer.
And if you'll notice..... it is one beer. It's not like I have 3 or 4 drinks sitting there in front of me. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

What, you trying to say sumthin???? Not like me in my pic with 4 drinks in front of me???? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom