Okonomiyaki

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was in Japan this was one of my favorite things to eat. A few friends sitting around a table grill with a few beers and cooking your own with what ever you wanted inside was a lot of fun.
This one, hole-in-a-wall candy store I used to frequent had a single okonomiyaki table with 2 chairs tucked in the corner. They also had a manual shaved ice machine. As kids, a buddy and I on occasion sat and ordered okonomiyaki. We were lousy at handling the spachula so the store owner cooked for us. They didn't serve beer, we were minors anyway, but there was a beer vending machine just outside of the store.

This one, hole-in-a-wall candy store I used to frequent had a single okonomiyaki table with 2 chairs tucked in the corner. They also had a manual shaved ice machine. As kids, a buddy and I on occasion sat and ordered okonomiyaki. We were lousy at handling the spachula so the store owner cooked for us. They didn't serve beer, we were minors anyway, but there was a beer vending machine just outside of the store.
:LOL::LOL:The two spatula trick was the biggest challenge (and no way could I do it with one) (and why I had so much leftover ingredients). It took me three tries to get one that the photographer liked. There is a trick to that. And, I have to admit, I prefer my lefse griddle for making it--did one in a CI skillet, one on a CI griddle, one in a non-stick frying pan, but the one I did on my lefse griddle is the one that was photographed. Once the photos appear on the web site, I will post the link (a little bit of preening since "I made that").

Okay hope this isn't sacrilegious, but it seems a close cousin to Chinese
Egg foo Yung. What say you?
The texture is totally different. The technique is different--you do not pre-cook any of the ingredients nor do you stir the egg. You mix all the ingredients together, add the eggs last, put on a hot grill, shape into a circle, cover, let cook 5 minutes, flip, cover, cook an additional five minutes. Also, the sauces are very different if you compare what is normally used to top egg foo yung. The umami is more pronounced than in egg foo yung. To me, egg foo yung is something I make with leftover stir fry. Now that I've been introduced to this, I prefer it.

I haven't had okonomiyaki in a while....
I'm thinking you just might need to :LOL: Comfort food, easy to make and oops, we did put kimchi on top of the noodles after I took the picture. I'm Scandinavian--the fact I can make kimchi and okonomiyaki is, well, outside of my ethnic zone.:LOL: I suffer from snow blindness. :cool:

Vegetarian Okonomiyaki The recipe should work with egg substitute or with just egg whites. If you can't get taro root, you could use sweet potato--I'd use white instead of orange. Serve with a side salad and it's a meal. I made this in April when the lads came out--they are vegetarians. They loved them.

DIFFICULTY: Easy
TIME: 20-25 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

200 g smoked firm tofu (1 block)
50 g edible pea pods (cut into 3 pieces)
1/4 head cabbage (I used 1/2 purple/1/2 green), chopped (should be about 200 g total)
3 eggs
3 tbsp garlic scapes or chives, chopped
3 spears asparagus
2 tsp ume su (Japanese plum vinegar)
1/3 cup flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
½ cup Nagaimo (taro root)
2 sheets Nori
2 tbsp okonomi sauce (or vegetarian hoisin sauce)
2 tsp wasabi paste
1/4 cup cold water (or dashi if you have it--I didn't and didn't feel like making any)
vegetable spray
salt
2 tbsp mayonnaise

PREPARATION:

1. Preheat griddle to 400 degrees.
2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

PREPARE INGREDIENTS:

Tofu: cut into 1-1/2 cm squares
Nagaimo: peel and grate (1/2 cup) Tip: Some people are allergic to the peel. I wear non-latex gloves when handling Nagaimo.
Cabbage: Slice into 1/4-inch strips (2 cups)
Flour: Measure 1/3 c
Baking powder: Measure 1/8 tsp
Ume su: Measure 2 tsp
Eggs: beat lightly in small bowl
Asparagus: Cut off ends, cut into 5 segments about 1 inch long (cut on diagonal)
Garlic scapes: Cut on a diagonal, about 1/4 inch long
Nori: Cut sheets in half and then roll and cut chiffionade
Mayonnaise: Stir in 1-2 tsp wasabi paste - set aside

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, water, taro, ume su. Mix until blended, but not overly so.
2. Add remaining ingredients except wasabi mayonnaise and nori. Blend until moist.
3. Spray hot griddle with vegetable spray.
4. Put 1/2 of mixture on griddle, shape in a circle, lower heat to 375. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
5. Flip, and cook an additional 5 minutes on the other side. (I find using two spatelas makes it a lot easier because 1/2 of the mixture makes an okonomiyaki that is about 9 inches across).
6. Hold first okonomiyaki in preheated oven on an oven-proof plate or pizza pan.
7. Repeat steps 4 and 5.

TO SERVE

1. Put wasabi mayo in a small ziplock bag. Clip off one corner, make diagonal lines across okonomiyaki.
2. Put okonomi sauce in a small ziplock bag. Clip off one corner, and make diagonal lines to make a lattice pattern across okonomiyaki.
3. Top with nori threads, green onion, a dollop of srirachi, sliced white radish (as you wish).
4. Cut into quarters. One is easily enough for 2 people with a salad.

Notes: When I did this on my cast-iron griddle, I had to lower the heat.If you don't have a griddle, a non-stick skillet will work, but you still need to give it a light spray of vegetable oil (or wipe it with vegetable oil if you don't have the spray). You can bake them in the oven at 425 on a parchment-lined baking sheet, uncovered. I make them smaller when I bake them in the oven--about 4-5 inches across for about 7-8 minutes. If you prefer the cabbage softer, nuke it for about 2 minutes before adding it to the batter. You can other vegetarian protein sources for the tofu use a marinated tofu.. These are good eaten warm or at room temperature for lunch the next day. Pack the toppings separately.

PF--it has become one of my go to dishes to use up leftovers. I've also made it with rice noodles when I haven't had any cabbage in the house. I have made it with chicken, pork, beef, all veggies, marinated tofu...

PF--it has become one of my go to dishes to use up leftovers. I've also made it with rice noodles when I haven't had any cabbage in the house. I have made it with chicken, pork, beef, all veggies, marinated tofu...

I make it with lots of veggies, it's is a good leftover user.

I made about 250 of these on May 2nd (11 doz eggs), along with 60 lb of quail breast. I think I've nailed cooking quail breast and it will be awhile before I make either again. But the vegetarian version is just as tasty as when you use fish sauce and a meat/seafood.

Back
Top Bottom