"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Omelet Overcooked!

Hello!

I tried to make this omelette https://youtu.be/e8zc_DRv6cU but I overcooked it to the bottom. I used very very low heat ( electrical not gas) and I cooked it about to 30 seconds. I don't know what I did wrong, usually when I make an ordinary omelette it takes at least 1 minute and more to be cooked well (I'm covering it to keep the steam on top of the omelette).

I used only butter, not olive oil. I noticed that the omelette absorbed all the butter in 10 seconds, so this might be the problem. Should I use extra olive oil with the butter, to keep the omelette frying without burning it?

Maybe this omelette is cooking faster that an ordinary, and this is where I miscalculate.

Any advices?

Thanks 😊

Old 08-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Master Chef

That video is for a souffle not an omelet. If you want to make an omelet, watch this one.

Welcome to DC!

Old 08-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

No, I actually wanted to make the souffle. Sorry, I thought it was not so different from an omelet this is why I choose this name. I know how to make an omelet and I never overlooking it. But I overcooked this souffle even that I was careful.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thank you for the welcome message!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef

It's actually a fluffy omelet, not a souffle. If you look at the comments, several people had your problem and ended up adding more butter/oil, especially if they didn't use a nonstick pan.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
It's actually a fluffy omelet, not a souffle. If you look at the comments, several people had your problem and ended up adding more butter/oil, especially if they didn't use a nonstick pan.
Thank you for your answer! Next time I'll try to do this. Two spoons of olive oil and one spoon of butter for the taste. I will also cook it for 20 seconds and the check it, because if I'm not mistaken, this omelet is cooking a lot faster than a regular.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I would like to ask one more thing. When I cooked it, it was very fluffy but when I served it, it deflated in a matter of seconds and looked miserable. Do you know why this happened?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Any souffle or omelet using that technique is going to start deflating as soon as it is done and comes off the heat, and even faster once you cut into it. Also, you have to be careful and not overbeat your egg whites either initially or when folding in the yolks, though I have always folded in the whites after lightening the yolks with a bit of the whites first.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Any souffle or omelet using that technique is going to start deflating as soon as it is done and comes off the heat, and even faster once you cut into it. Also, you have to be careful and not overbeat your egg whites either initially or when folding in the yolks, though I have always folded in the whites after lightening the yolks with a bit of the whites first.
I think I made a mistake here. I used a mixer to beat the whites until they become like a creme. I beat the yolks separately with a spoon, and then I inserted it little by little in the creme and at the same time I was folding it with a spoon.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Before I insert the yolks , the creme was hard, but after the yolks and the folding, the creme became soft. Is this the expected result?

Tags
3 eggs, cook, omelet, other