Omelet problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got the same message. Must be because the omlet was made using U.S. measure and not available in metric counties.:LOL: After all, we have metric chickens. :ROFLMAO:

Interesting, I got the same message, can't get there from here either, and I'm in the States. Wonder if it's because I use the iPad.

Last edited:
I got the same message. Must be because the omlet was made using U.S. measure and not available in metric counties.:LOL: After all, we have metric chickens. :ROFLMAO:

Interesting, I got the same message, can't get there from here either, and I'm in the States. Wonder if it's because I use the iPad.
It just knows who is Canadian and won't show it to us. I guess half Canadian counts.

I got an add on for FF that lets me watch stuff like Hulu and The Daily Show episodes, both of which I couldn't watch before I got the add on. It's called Media Hint.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/MediaHintApp/?src=api

It doesn't even need to be configured. I've been told that Yanks use it to watch British stuff.

It just knows who is Canadian and won't show it to us. I guess half Canadian counts.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Great, so I'm discriminated against too, eh?

Are you using a "mobile device"? I'll try it on my work laptop tomorrow.

Last edited:
I watched Laura Calder do this Souffleed Spinach Omelette on her TV show and ran to the kitchen to try it. Was great fun since it is polar opposite of how I do it normally. I loved the fluffy texture and it looked fantastic - and four eggs seemed to feed two of quite easily.

If you're looking to experiment, give that one a whirl.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Great, so I'm discriminated against too, eh?

Are you using a "mobile device"? I'll try it on my work laptop tomorrow.

I had no problem viewing it. I am on my desktop. I wonder if I send it from my desktop, if that will make a difference. Will be right back. :angel:

Okay, I am back. See if you can get it from my desktop.

How to Make an Omelet : Food Network :angel:

Last edited:
I had no problem viewing it. I am on my desktop. I wonder if I send it from my desktop, if that will make a difference. Will be right back. :angel:

Okay, I am back. See if you can get it from my desktop.

How to Make an Omelet : Food Network :angel:

Nope, but thanks, Addie. I googled it, and was able to get it. I think we can't get it from the link on our mobile devices. When I googled the site from Safari, I could get it.

Thanks for trying, all!

Thank you to Craig C for posting the omelet video, and to Kayelle for reposting it. I didn't have any problem viewing it. :)

I LOVE omelets and think they are the greatest thing for using up bits of veggies and such. :yum: Once you get the hang of flipping 1/3 of it over itself and using the pan to flip over the rest of it onto the plate, it's really pretty easy. The main thing, as others have said, is to move the cooked part slowly to the center of the pan while allowing the uncooked egg to have contact with the pan as well.

If the eggs are still shiny and somewhat soft when you transfer the omelet to the plate, it'll be perfect after a minute or two and not overdone.

I might have to cook an omelet tomorrow. I have some leftover asparagus and roasted red peppers that are calling it's name. :LOL:

Thank you to Craig C for posting the omelet video, and to Kayelle for reposting it. I didn't have any problem viewing it. :)

I LOVE omelets and think they are the greatest thing for using up bits of veggies and such. :yum: Once you get the hang of flipping 1/3 of it over itself and using the pan to flip over the rest of it onto the plate, it's really pretty easy. The main thing, as others have said, is to move the cooked part slowly to the center of the pan while allowing the uncooked egg to have contact with the pan as well.

If the eggs are still shiny and somewhat soft when you transfer the omelet to the plate, it'll be perfect after a minute or two and not overdone.

I might have to cook an omelet tomorrow. I have some leftover asparagus and roasted red peppers that are calling it's name. :LOL:

Today I tried that...moving the cooked part to the middle. I still ended up having to put a lid on the pan because the eggs in the middle were not cooking even with medium high heat. Am I missing something?

Today I tried that...moving the cooked part to the middle. I still ended up having to put a lid on the pan because the eggs in the middle were not cooking even with medium high heat. Am I missing something?

Is your pan warped?

You must like your omelets dry, I don't. Remember that like meat, it continues to cook a little after it's folded and by the time it gets to the table.

You must like your omelets dry, I don't. Remember that like meat, it continues to cook a little after it's folded and by the time it gets to the table.

Good reminder! I'm going to try folding the omelet when it's slightly wet and see how I like it.

Tonight I tried making an omelet with spinach and gruyere, and I ran into some problems. The grated gruyere disappeared into the egg and didn't have that yummy oozy texture. Also, the bottom of the omelet came out crispy. I used my Simply Calphalon omelet pan on medium heat with a little melted butter. I waited until the egg was almost completely cooked before adding the grated gruyere. Would could have gone wrong?

You probably over cooked the omelette. The ooziness is partly the egg. Chefs call it "baveuse" - a French word meaning runny or sloppy (disgusting eh!).

In Margaret Costa's "Four Seasons Cookbook" (1970) she describes how trainee chefs in France were taught to make an omelette. It involved cooking the omelette on a back burner of the stove and holding the handle of the pan with the front burner on full blast under the trainee's wrist. If the trainee sustained a burn on his wrist the omelette was over cooked!

A properly cooked omelette shouldn't be crispy on the bottom, it shouldn't be turned over to cook the top (unless you are making a Spanish tortilla) and it shouldn't be solid (ditto above in brackets)

Ultimate French omelette | BBC Good Food

and

Jacques Pepin omelette omelet - YouTube

Last edited:
You probably over cooked the omelette. The ooziness is partly the egg. Chefs call it "baveuse" - a French word meaning runny or sloppy (disgusting eh!).

In Margaret Costa's "Four Seasons Cookbook" (1970) she describes how trainee chefs in France were taught to make an omelette. It involved cooking the omelette on a back burner of the stove and holding the handle of the pan with the front burner on full blast under the trainee's wrist. If the trainee sustained a burn on his wrist the omelette was over cooked!

A properly cooked omelette shouldn't be crispy on the bottom, it shouldn't be turned over to cook the top (unless you are making a Spanish tortilla) and it shouldn't be solid (ditto above in brackets)

Ultimate French omelette | BBC Good Food

and

Jacques Pepin omelette omelet - YouTube

I noticed that Jacques' omelet was browned on the bottom, so the pan must be pretty hot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom