Omelet problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
Tonight I tried making an omelet with spinach and gruyere, and I ran into some problems. The grated gruyere disappeared into the egg and didn't have that yummy oozy texture. Also, the bottom of the omelet came out crispy. I used my Simply Calphalon omelet pan on medium heat with a little melted butter. I waited until the egg was almost completely cooked before adding the grated gruyere. Would could have gone wrong?

Lower the heat to avoid a crispy bottom. As far as the cheese is concerned, just add more to the inside, and maybe sprinkle some on the top after it's plated also.

Another way to prevent your omelet from browning too much is, after the egg is almost completely set, spread you fillings evenly on top, and cover with a tight fitting lid. The steam will set the top of the egg and heat the filling ingredients. Of course, have any meat products cooked before spreading them on top. If you want to have ooey-gooey cheesy goodness in your omelet, don't be shy with it. Use lots.

Avoid watery veggies such as tomatoes as they will detract from the texture by making the fillings watery. You can use sun-dried tomatoes if you want, and pre-browned mushrooms.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For gooey cheesey goodness - cook the omelette on all sides (I use a round pan and flip it - though it's noot always pretty!) . Add cheese JUST before it's done. Fold. Put a dash of water into the pan and cover it. Leave it just long enough to melt the cheese.

I have been cooking for a very long time and have yet to master omelets or any type of egg cooking except hard boiled for deviled eggs. I was thrilled when an Omelet House came to town solving my omelet problem. I can sort of do an omelet using the scout method of boil in a bag and then roll it out into a pan to finish. But that's really no much to brag about.
If you were able to produce any sort of omelet, I salute you.

Thank you for the very helpful suggestions, Kayelle and Chief Longwind! Is it best to add the spinach raw (and let it cook under the lid) or sautée it in advance?

When I watch the sweet lady cooking our omelet at a favorite place, I see she puts the grated cheese in at the very last moment, then flips and plates. Her omelets always come out perfect. Mine, not so much, I'm better with scrambled eggs.

She also sautees the vegetables in advance.

Last edited:
I have been cooking for a very long time and have yet to master omelets or any type of egg cooking except hard boiled for deviled eggs. I was thrilled when an Omelet House came to town solving my omelet problem. I can sort of do an omelet using the scout method of boil in a bag and then roll it out into a pan to finish. But that's really no much to brag about.
If you were able to produce any sort of omelet, I salute you.

Thank you, Oldvine! I watched a lot of YouTube videos on omelets and am still struggling with it. Good to know that's normal :)

For gooey cheesey goodness - cook the omelette on all sides (I use a round pan and flip it - though it's noot always pretty!) . Add cheese JUST before it's done. Fold. Put a dash of water into the pan and cover it. Leave it just long enough to melt the cheese.

Sounds like an easy solution! Do you add the cheese grated or in slices?

When I watch the sweet lady cooking our omelet at a favorite place, I see she puts the grated cheese in at the very last moment, then flips and plates. Her omelets always come out perfect. Mine, not so much, I'm better with scrambled eggs.

She also sautees the vegetables in advance.

My omelet looked like a big puffy piece of scrambled egg LOL!

If you saute' your spinach first, you'll need to squeeze it dry before you add it to the omelet, as the chief said, additions need to be dry. I prefer to not cook the spinach first and just chop it fairly fine, lending a nice fresh texture to the inside. You're doing well, kg, just keep up the good work. Eventually you'll be a pro, and there's nothing more satisfying than a perfectly cooked stuffed omelet.

If you saute' your spinach first, you'll need to squeeze it dry before you add it to the omelet, as the chief said, additions need to be dry. I prefer to not cook the spinach first and just chop it fairly fine, lending a nice fresh texture to the inside. You're doing well, kg, just keep up the good work. Eventually you'll be a pro, and there's nothing more satisfying than a perfectly cooked stuffed omelet.

Thanks for your encouragement! I love the idea of chopping the spinach. I threw it in whole and it just wilted slightly. I tried to cook some on the side the way I saw a chef do it on youtube, but it came out horrible. I put it in a pot with no water, covered it, and found it burnt a few minutes later :(

Wilted spinach - you need to be fast, high heat, tablespoon cold water, handful of spinach and a tight fitting lid. Only 30 seconds and remove the lid stir and serve.

Omelets are not an easy thing, takes practice, you will have to eat a couple that are not prefect, but at least they still taste good!

My omelette secret is to finish it under the broiler on high on the highest rack in the oven until it's just set then fold it and plate. Always perfect doneness, slightly oozy and the broiler makes it puff up a bit.

Wilted spinach - you need to be fast, high heat, tablespoon cold water, handful of spinach and a tight fitting lid. Only 30 seconds and remove the lid stir and serve.

Omelets are not an easy thing, takes practice, you will have to eat a couple that are not prefect, but at least they still taste good!

Lol! As long as I'm cooking just for myself it's fine :)

My omelette secret is to finish it under the broiler on high on the highest rack in the oven until it's just set then fold it and plate. Always perfect doneness, slightly oozy and the broiler makes it puff up a bit.

I haven't used my broiler since I've been in my new apartment. I'm afraid something will catch fire!

When an Exec Chef is hiring a new cook for the kitchen, one of the first things he asks them to make is an omelet. A lot of wannabe chefs do not get past the omelet or hired. So don't be discouraged. It does take practice. There is only one Jacques Pepin. :angel:

When an Exec Chef is hiring a new cook for the kitchen, one of the first things he asks them to make is an omelet. A lot of wannabe chefs do not get past the omelet or hired. So don't be discouraged. It does take practice. There is only one Jacques Pepin. :angel:

Wow I didn't know that it was considered such an advanced skill! Now I don't feel so bad :)

Back
Top Bottom