Omelette fillings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Couldn't take it this morning. I was starving so I headed down to the cafeteria for an omelette. Sausage and cheddar, and maybe about a 1/4 bottle of Franks (all they have here) hot sauce (You could still actually see the egg).

It was SO good, but the whole office felt compelled to comment on the fact that they all could smell the hot sauce! :rolleyes:

Now there's a discussion about getting hot wings for lunch... :angel:

John

The perfect omlette (for me): chorizo, onions, cilantro, little bit of guacamole and smothered in green sauce...

Omlettes are fun to make because there are so many good variations.

I like Spinich, feta, and sundried tomatoes. Or, onion, pepper, cheddar, bacon.

I got off the omlette kick a few months ago and got on quiche. I think quiche gets over thought sometimes. I will make a quiche the same way I will make omlettes. Same ingredients, only I bake it in a store bought pie shell.

I will probably have to make some quiche or omlettes now.
Note to self don't come on DC before you have breakfast.

i make my omlettes with whatever i have onhand. lately i've been making a lot of olive tapanade, so i've been putting some olive tapanade and smoked cheddar in my omlette. probably sounds weird but it tastes so good!

As for the white omelets... just throw out the yolks, and you have a white omelet. I prefer it with all it's cholesterol, I'm more likely to throw out the white and keep the yolk! This dish can also be made with all egg whites; the cheese adds plenty of flavor.

I have to watch my intake, particularly of all the good stuff like calories and cholesterol laden stuff, and do it pretty well by cutting back on what I eat.

You can now rest assured. Recent findings have found that dietry cholesterol (which is contained within egg yolks) has an insignificant impact on your blood cholesterol levels.

Furthermore it is saturated fat which has the biggest impact on cholesterol levels and, since eggs are low in saturated fat while absolutely packed full of other good nutrients, you don't have to toss away the yolk.

For special occassions this is the best. It's a quiche but can be made as an omelet as well.

Raw shrimps diced into small peices
Mixed bell peppers (red, yellow, green) finely diced
1 white onion finely diced
handful of flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
some garlic finely chopped
6 eggs (no substitutes, just the real deal)
1.5 cups of cheddar cheese (the regular kind)
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt and black pepper to taste
ready-made pie crust
1 tbsp of butter

Cook the onions, bell peppers and shrimp in the butter.

In a bowl beat the eggs and then add the cream, cheese and cooked veggies and shrimp. Fold in the parsley.

Prepare the pie crust (I like to prebake mine for atleast 20-30 minutes). Remove pour in the egg custard and bake until done (I bake mine at 350 for 30-40 minutes).

I serve it with potato pancakes that I make with frozen hashbrown potatoes mixed with a little flour and a salad of fresh berries.

You can substitute the pie crust with puff pastry as well.

yakuta... I am imprssed with this recipe...I never thought of shrimp omelette but I must say this too sounds wonderful...

I like to squeeze the stuffing out of Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausages, discard the casing, and then add that, some jack cheese, mushrooms and onions on my omelette.

Oh.. then oodles of black pepper on top

It just kinda depends on my mood. Sometimes I like bacon, cheddar, Velveeta, celery, and onion. Other times call for lightly saute'd sliced mushrooms (white button for this one), a good sage flavored pork breakfast sausage, and either a good, sharp swiis, or milky smooth muenster cheese.

Sometimes I want just diced ham and American Cheese.

I also love diced, fresh tomato with grated Parmesano or Asiago cheese and a touch of sweet basil, with a scant drizzle of EVOO.

I've even been known to add cinamon and Splenda to the beaten egg, and fill with breadfast sausage, and Velveeta cheese, all covered in maple syrup (french toast without the toast).

You can litterally fill omelets with almost anything. Try combining ground beef with canned tomato (dice or crush the tomato). Add just salt and pepper and freshly sliced onion. Cook until the onion is tender. Use together with Jack or Mozerella cheese as the omelet filling.

Bucky, I think you're gonna like this one, especially if you can smmother it in hot sauce. Another favorite in restaurants around here is a combination of Swiss Cheese, hash-brown potatoes, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, and onion.

I'm fond of a good home-made corned beef hash, seasoned with S & P, to be used as a filling, and all of it topped with ketchup (I know, yikes!).
All you need to do then is say, yum:mrgreen: .

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Another favorite in restaurants around here is a combination of Swiss Cheese, hash-brown potatoes, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, and onion.

THIS SOUNDS REALLY GOOD!!! I WANT TO TRY IT..THANKS :)

I'll be sure to try some corned beef hash, it's so good.

I'm usually a bacon and cheese or sausage and cheese kind of guy. Onions and peppers always work well too. I vary whether I want the flavor of sharp cheddar or the gooey delightfulness of processed Velveeta, yep I said it.

I'm more of a bacon, toast, home fries and egg over med, gal..But if I do have an omelette, my favorite is bacon, diced green chiles,monterey jack cheese, and in the summer a whole sun sweet tomato along side...

kadesma:cool:

I'm always in awe of the mixtures of flavours that Americans seem to put in in one omelette - very 'un' European :)

Personally, I like, in order of preference

fines herbes

mushrooms

cheese with a little onion

Of couse, I'm talking about classic French omelettes here - if I cook a Spanish style one, then onions, red peppers, dill, courgettes and anything else that comes to hand!

Last edited:
Ishbel. Yes, for those delicately flavored omelettes. But I am deeply indebted to our on the other side of the big water soulmates for Mexican style chorizo (I made some slight changes to the original recipe).

Spinach/cheese/chorizo in equal parts per weight, eggs, cream and spices (nutmeg is a must have) and bake as a quiche.

Back
Top Bottom