"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-31-2005, 03:50 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I have to make omelettes for Sunday Brunch at the country club I work for. I prep up between 14 and 15 different toppings, which includes a warm topping of some kind, usually a derivative of Hollandaise, but sometimes gravy, and if I had some decent chili, I'd do that as well.

I start using a non-stick skillet with rounded sides. I add a little oil, then whatever topping the members/guests have selected (cheese goes on last). I'll saute these briefly, until they are just starting to get tender. Then, I add some liquified eggs (I've found that store-bought, liquid, eggs, are best). I shake the pan just enough to ensure that there are no holes or weak spots, and that the egg is a uniform depth. As this cooks over med-low heat, I swirl the pan to distribute the liquid egg around the edge of the omelette. When the egg is about half done, I start lifting up the edges with a heat-resistant rubber spatula and letting the liquid egg flow under the congealed egg. Once most of the egg is congealed, I flip the omelette (so of the members swear there is some other "force", dark magic, or mystical power involved in my successfully flipping an omelette), and while the egg finishes cooking (about 30 seconds), I'll add any cheese on that surface. Once it's done, I'll fold or roll (depends on how thick the omelette is, and the amount of fillings mixed in) the omelette onto the plate. Any warm topping (gravy, chili, hollandaise, etc.) can be artfully added at this time.

Tags
None