"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Just to make a distinction... I was told that deli-type paper... NOT WAXED paper... is the best for cheese. I was told that if the paper is waxed, it produces the same result as plastic bags.

Has anyone else been told this? I got this from cheese monger at a large cheese store in Munich.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah that actually sounds familiar velochic. I think parchment paper is what I actually heard was the right thing to use.

I wish I knew why I do not have success with that method. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter cause my way works for me. Of course cheese in my house rarely sits around long enough to mold no matter what.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
GB it's the same for us, we use plastic wrap too, and it works well as long as we change the sheet often and wrap it tight. But then again, like I said before our cheese doesn't last that long!!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Get a Tillia Foodsaver. I used to use mine for cheese as well. Works excellent.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

You're welcome Barbara.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Okay parchment is on my list now. I guess I like the price of waxed paper, and it's easier to tear. I wish parchment came like those sheets of foil - love those!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I think I was probably a mouse in a former life, because I cannot resist a piece of cheese. Ever!!
We buy lots of Parmigiano reggiano because (a) Venezuelans eat loads and loads of pasta and (b) my family has Italian roots.
Most times, half a kilo of Parmigiano will last about 10 days. No problem to keep it in the fridge and change the wrapping from time to time. However, we sometimes buy a kilo, or TWO kilos, especially when we're travelling. We dump it in the freezer, and use it to grate on pasta. Do not put it in the freezer if you wish to appreciate the finer qualities of the cheese; the unique sharpness, the rich creamy flavour, the slightly grainy texture. Try drizzling a little Balsamic vinegar on it before eating. Mmmmm!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:54 AM   #18
Head Chef

Parmesan does freeze ok..not brilliant, but satisfactory certainly. Its so very cheap for me to buy it in Italy and my Italian husband always cuts it into chunks the size we might grate for a risotto or pasta and wraps it then freezes. I checked when I first got to Italy with the cheese counter at the supermarket, and they looked at me like I was mad and assured me this was common practise for parmesan not being served as a very special meal here!
Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I found this in another food site and have copied it below:

How to keep Parmigiano Reggiano fresh
by Rob Gavel

Tightly wrap your wedge of Parmigiano in foil and store it in a dry section of your refrigerator's vegetable crisper. It will keep its best flavor for about a month. If the cheese dries out during storage, wrap it in a moist paper towel and then in foil for a day before rewrapping just in foil. Freezing isn't recommended.
</SPAN>

From Fine Cooking #53
Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara
I have been wanting a vacuum seal - you give me a good reason to get one. Any tips on which one to buy?
As GB says, the Tilia is the FoodSaver brand and I think the one to get. I have had 3 now. They are readily available for big discounts in lots of places.
My first one-many years ago--was the very basic one. Just drew the vacuum and worked very well (until it didn't!! I think it might be reclaimable). THe next one was one with all the bells and whistles that allow you to seal in canisters at not a full vacuum (saves strawberries, lettuce, etc.). That one really never worked particularly well for me--particularly the canister seals. It finally just stopped.
I have gone back to the plain pipe rack--vacuum and seal. It was $50 on Amazon and it does everything I need it to. If I really want to marinate something quickly I can pull a vacuum with this one. But I have saved enough on sealing cheese alone to pay for every one of these. I would NEVER be without one.
Tuesday Morning often has them. Amazon has the full array. I bought one on QVC. WalMart carries the bags. Costco and Sam's has them but there are better prices elsewhere.

Tags
None