"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Parmesan cheese

I like using fresh ingredients in cooking but never know how to store them. Bought a chunk of fresh parmesan. How long can I keep it in fridge? Can you freeze cheeses of any kind?

Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Parmigiano keeps well, if you wrap it tightly each time, it can easily be stored in the fridge for at least a month, though I am not sure if it can be done for any longer period, our chunks are usually gone by then. Sometimes when we find them on sale, we buy in larger amount, cut them in small cubes so they will fit better inside our cheese grinder, put it in a plastic bag and freeze them. True, the texture suffers a wee bit if you decide to be picky, and to snack on as it is, it is definetely better unfrozen. However it is more than sufficient for dressing your pasta and risotto.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I wrap mine in waxed paper (I'm old fashioned) somewhere I read it's good for the cheese to breath. Who really knows? Mine usually does not last long either. I also like to use the rind in chunks in my soups for extra flavor.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
A Cheesemonger I met long ago told me that all cheese should be wrapped in fresh paper each time you use it, in order to preserve the freshness of whatever cheese it is.

For me, the issue with Parmigiano is that I use it so often, so I usually keep it in a zip-lock baggie, making sure to burp out all the air. When I get down close to the rind, I save that in another baggie to use in bean soup. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor.

Many cheeses can be frozen, but I've never tried Parmigiano because it's so popular in our house. However, after you've frozen cheese, it usually becomes crumbly, so tho it would be fine for cooking, it's not probably something you'd want to include on a cheese tray.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I had heard the same thing about cheese being wrapped in wax paper so that it could breath, but I have found that when I do that the cheese molds much faster. I wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge. Parm will last a very very long time. It will probably just dry out before it even molds.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Maybe the best is to wrap in waxed paper and put in plastic bag - making sure to replace paper each time. Once i smelled the plastic wrap on my cheddar and realized it was important to change plastic for sure. My cheddar is around longer than my parmesan.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I have found the opposite from GB--wrapped in plastic makes the cheese mold/go slimey faster. Cheese wrapped in parchment and then put in plastic is good--doesn't dry out.
Parm is a very hard cheese and could be just put in plastic pretty well also.
I vacuum seal all my cheeses and keep in the fridge with no problem doing it that way so can really take advantage of the big chunks at Costco, etc.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I have been wanting a vacuum seal - you give me a good reason to get one. Any tips on which one to buy?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Get a Tillia Foodsaver. I used to use mine for cheese as well. Works excellent.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Master Chef

Cheese does need to breathe and wrapping it in wax paper or foil, is usually the best way to avoid mold. Cheese wrapped tightly in plastic will mold faster. The wax paper method does allow the cheese to dry out faster, though.

From Formaggio Kitchen, one of the best authorities on cheese anywhere:

"Caring for Your Cheese
When you buy cheese in our store or on our site, we wrap it in a lined paper that we import from France that is designed for cheese. Ideally, we recommend using a clean wrap of this paper each time you open your cheese. However, in a pinch we've found that wax paper, butcher paper or aluminum foil, will work reasonably well. We choose not to store cheese in plastic wrap because we find that imparts an unpleasant chemical taste if left in contact with the cheese. Depending on the cheese and the condition of your refrigerator (humid or dry), you may want to overwrap the waxed paper with plastic wrap to avoid the plastic wrap contacting the cheese, while preserving moisture. If you must wrap in plastic wrap, be sure to clean the cut surface of the cheese by giving it a light scraping to remove the contacted area.

Store your cheese, tightly wrapped, in an area of higher humidity such as the meat or vegetable drawer and away from drafts. Most of the cheeses will keep for several days to several weeks if properly stored (aged, hard cheeses will last longer than fresh, soft ones). Any cheese will grow white, blue, yellow or black mold over time. These molds are natural and harmless to most except the severly immunocompromised. However these molds can add flavors of sharpness or bitterness so we recommend scraping the mold from the surface of the cheese. "

More resources on storing cheese

Tags
None