"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
As I've just been picked up for inaccuracy - I'm sure you mean "Parmesan-style" cheese can come from other places.
You live in the EU, so for you that is true.

From Parmesan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese must satisfy very specific requirements in order to be marketed and sold under that name and its flavor can't be compared by any other product whose name might remotely remind you of it; there are no such requirements for Parmesan (in most markets).[7] Within the European Union,however the name "Parmesan" by law may only be used to describe Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese; no other jurisdictions are known to have such legal restrictions.[8]

"Therefore, in the European Union, the word "Parmesan" legally serves as a synonym for "Parmigiano-Reggiano" and always follows its strict requirements, among wich is the geographical provenience: Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, partially Bologna and Mantova. Outside of the European Union, "Parmesan" is a broad category of cheese that tastes similar to Parmigiano-Reggiano, and indeed Parmesan could only be described as a poor imitation of Parmigiano-Reggiano." [emphasis mine]

Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
(Sigh) I said "We don't eat it. I fish it out before serving and throw it away". In other words That is what we do in my household. As far as anyone else is concerned I don't give a damn what they do with it. They can stick it on the ceiling for all I care..
And like I said, someone who is unfamiliar with it might take that to mean it's inedible. This site exists for the benefit of lurkers and Web surfers; not everyone who reads the threads joins the forum. You may not care what they take from it but I do.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:27 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
In England we call that "nit-picking".
That's the more polite term we use here. Unless the posted information is blatantly incorrect, we often just let it slide. But unfortunately, in this imperfect world we live in that does not always happen.

Speaking for myself only, I do not feel like I always have to be right. I would rather be thought of as being a nice person, not an absolute correct person.

Tags
cheese, parmesan, soup