Parmesan Cheese Rinds in soup Consistency Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course it's edible. I didn't say it wasn't. Perhaps I should have said that the rind occurs as part of the manufacturing process. Or even "occurs naturally".

I think you mean aging process to be more technically correct since it really isn't manufactured.

I only use imported Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, too, although less expensive Parmesan cheese is fine, it's just not aged as long, so it costs less..... Also, PR cheese imported from Italy has a different flavor - the flavor depends in part on the microbes in the environment.

Parmigiano-Reggiano comes from Italy and nowhere else :chef:

Parmigiano-Reggiano comes from Italy and nowhere else :chef:

I know. But Parmesan cheese can come from other places. I was trying to distinguish the two - Parmesan isn't as good because it's not aged as long and doesn't come from the same environment as Parm-Reg, but it's still real cheese without additives.

There are more and more farms in Wisconsin that are expanding their cheese making. You can now buy Reggiano, Romano, and many other cheeses that only came to us from Europe. They may not be made under the same conditions, but some of them are earning medals in the Cheese Making community.

And because they are made here in the U.S.A., they are less expensive. I hope some of these cheeses become popular here. Our farmers need the help. :angel:

Addie, your post prompted me to check out the Wisconsin cheese scene and I found this interesting article comparing some Italian cheeses with their Wisconsin counterparts: Cheese Underground: Italy vs Wisconsin Cheeses: Can the New World Compete?

I had read a while back about how Wisconsin farmers were expanding into cheese making. My DeMoulas' has a pretty good selection of import cheeses as well as native American ones. I have seen some of the Wisconsin ones of Italian origin there.

The article was very interesting. The Italians are very protective of their products and take great pride in them. Thanks for the link. :angel:

I know. But Parmesan cheese can come from other places. I was trying to distinguish the two - Parmesan isn't as good because it's not aged as long and doesn't come from the same environment as Parm-Reg, but it's still real cheese without additives.
As I've just been picked up for inaccuracy - I'm sure you mean "Parmesan-style" cheese can come from other places.

When you said you threw it away after using it, I thought people who are not familiar with it might think you did that because it shouldn't be eaten.
(Sigh) I said "We don't eat it. I fish it out before serving and throw it away". In other words That is what we do in my household. As far as anyone else is concerned I don't give a damn what they do with it. They can stick it on the ceiling for all I care..

As I've just been picked up for inaccuracy - I'm sure you mean "Parmesan-style" cheese can come from other places.
You live in the EU, so for you that is true.

From Parmesan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese must satisfy very specific requirements in order to be marketed and sold under that name and its flavor can't be compared by any other product whose name might remotely remind you of it; there are no such requirements for Parmesan (in most markets).[7] Within the European Union,however the name "Parmesan" by law may only be used to describe Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese; no other jurisdictions are known to have such legal restrictions.[8]

"Therefore, in the European Union, the word "Parmesan" legally serves as a synonym for "Parmigiano-Reggiano" and always follows its strict requirements, among wich is the geographical provenience: Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, partially Bologna and Mantova. Outside of the European Union, "Parmesan" is a broad category of cheese that tastes similar to Parmigiano-Reggiano, and indeed Parmesan could only be described as a poor imitation of Parmigiano-Reggiano." [emphasis mine]

(Sigh) I said "We don't eat it. I fish it out before serving and throw it away". In other words That is what we do in my household. As far as anyone else is concerned I don't give a damn what they do with it. They can stick it on the ceiling for all I care..

And like I said, someone who is unfamiliar with it might take that to mean it's inedible. This site exists for the benefit of lurkers and Web surfers; not everyone who reads the threads joins the forum. You may not care what they take from it but I do.

Last edited:
In England we call that "nit-picking".

That's the more polite term we use here. Unless the posted information is blatantly incorrect, we often just let it slide. But unfortunately, in this imperfect world we live in that does not always happen.

Speaking for myself only, I do not feel like I always have to be right. I would rather be thought of as being a nice person, not an absolute correct person. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom