Parmigiano Reggiano is NOT Parmesan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't seen that, but my first thought is hmmm, another way to create more garbage. We are such a disposible society. How is the price on that disposible grinder with parm?

Kraft in a box is closer to sawdust than cheese. Real Pecorino Romano and Reggiano tastes nothing like anything from the supermarket. Same goes for supermarket blues, cheddars, bries, swiss, and other cheeses. Try the real thing once and you will understand why it costs 3 times as much. And grate or slice your own. Much better taste and longer shelf life.

Kraft in a box is closer to sawdust than cheese. Real Pecorino Romano and Reggiano tastes nothing like anything from the supermarket. Same goes for supermarket blues, cheddars, bries, swiss, and other cheeses. Try the real thing once and you will understand why it costs 3 times as much. And grate or slice your own. Much better taste and longer shelf life.

The supermarket is the only place by me to get cheese.
I take it you live by a dedicated cheese shop, or do you order your cheese?

CanadianMeg - I don't remember off the top of my pointy little head, but it wasn't cheap. And I fully agree with you about the garbage standpoint (although it might have been recyclable plastic). I just couldn't justify yet something else disposable + the fact that the hunk of cheese probably wasn't choice.

I pretty much buy whatever I can find in the markets parmesan or romano wise for everyday use. The only brand that I NEVER buy is "Stella". It's more salt than cheese.

As far as storage, I always wrap my grating cheeses in plastic wrap, otherwise they'll turn into solid rock in no time & will be virtually impossible to cut or grate.

When I buy parm at the store (and pacanis, I can relate to not having much other choice), it's in small triangular wedges for $12 or 13 (parm reg). Think maybe a little more than inch thick and maybe 4" long in length. It's not cheap but it's a nice treat occasionally.

Just curious from the posts here, how much are you paying for good parm and how much do you get for that price?

I brought 5 kilos of Parm. back from Italy last summer and I sealed it in my food saver and froze it. it will keep for many months and I have found little or no difference in the texture after thawing it in the frig over night. For the piece I thawed I just use the vacuum sealer each time and it keeps forever.

I happen to like the Kraft on Pizza and I just pulled out the bottle which requires storage in the fridge and the ingredient is 100% Parmesan cheese. There are no fillers it's just grated in a different way. It's obvious that it's gotten a bad reputation but Kraft can't say what they are selling is one thing when it's not. Isn't that illegal.

What Kraft sells is Parmesan. The point of the OP was that Parmesan is not the same as parmigiano reggiano, and that a lot of people make the mistake of thinking they are in fact the same thing.

Pacanis. I am fortunate to live within a short distance from a wine, cheese and gourmet meat store where I can get quality cheeses at an average price of around 10 bucks a pound. Richmond also has a Fresh Market store. I don't know if it is a chain or just a couple of stores. Their produce and meat are always good, if slightly pricey. They specialize in upper end ingredients. To me, good ingredients are the key to sucessful cooking, and they really don't cost that much more.

Last edited:
No, it's NOT the real deal, but there are domestic alternatives that fill the void when you don't have access to consortium cheese. IMHO, American Grana is excellent, and I recently got a Strevecchio (sp?) at a local haunt that was passable for everyday use. I have found PR at Sam's and it is NOTHING like what my dad gets at the Italian deli, so there must be an aging difference or something!

I am not sure how to classify the Kraft shaker. Is it really cheese? I mean, I know the label says it is ... but it's like comparing fresh cilantro to dried. Not the same.

Laughed at the holiday craft idea, LOL. Wouldn't they stink?

Just a little information about an Italian ingredient!
I know that it can sound silly, but I've read a lot of posts here, and noticed that there's a missunderstood between Parmigiano reggiano cheese and Parmesan.
They are NOT the same thing! AT ALL!
The original one is PARMIGIANO REGGIANO (Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano)
The other one is only a copy of worst quality.

If you want to eat healthier, just take a look at official site and you'll understand the difference!
Thanx, Simona

Simona, while it is true that there is no other Parmigiano Reggiano other than that made in Emilia-Romagna, all "Parmesan" is not <a copy of worst quality.>

Several artisan cheese companies in US are now making a similar cheese they can call Parmesan. These are not quite as luscious as the real P-R, but some are quite tasty, and a darn sight less expensive for everyday use.

That stuff that's more like sawdust and comes in a shaker can ..... well, I don't know what that is! but fewer and fewer Americans are falling for that stuff every day! :ermm:

No, it's NOT the real deal, but there are domestic alternatives that fill the void when you don't have access to consortium cheese. IMHO, American Grana is excellent, and I recently got a Strevecchio (sp?) at a local haunt that was passable for everyday use. I have found PR at Sam's and it is NOTHING like what my dad gets at the Italian deli, so there must be an aging difference or something!

I am not sure how to classify the Kraft shaker. Is it really cheese? I mean, I know the label says it is ... but it's like comparing fresh cilantro to dried. Not the same.

Laughed at the holiday craft idea, LOL. Wouldn't they stink?

Anna, I have also seen P-R at places like BJ's and Sams, and they always cost lots less than at the cheese shop, but they are also OLD. I can tell by the way the cheese looks. and I won't buy it. It's been sitting around, already cut, drying out. Disgusting. imho not worth what they charge for it. :mad:

Ok ok, I admit I have the 'green tube' in my fridge as well. But, I can't always afford the 'good' stuff so it is what it is. I make do as best I can, but it is hard sometimes to silence my taste buds!

Maverick - I have seen you've mentioned shopping at Aldi's as do I! There have been times I have been able to find shredded Parm cheese in the cold food section. Now, it wasn't there the last time I was in the store but I was also in a hurry so maybe I didn't look hard enough. Not sure if it is technicallyl better than the green tube but it sure does look cooler!! :)

You are right, our ALDI here has started carrying some more 'exotic' cheeses in the cooler, but so far no parm, bummer.
They do have a fair selection of softer cheeses as well as some good hard block cheeses now. I will check again next time I am there. Wife likes to pick up the crumbled Gorgonzola or Blue Cheese, I like the soft cheese wheel (forget which cheese it was) with mushroom or the monteray jack with leeks.

Maverick - I am sort of familiar with Chicago, but not Cicero ... is there a Trader Joe's anywhere near you? They might have a domestic parm with a private label for a more reasonable price. If you find you can afford to treat yourself, you won't be sorry ... you will use less and have more flavor, saving money and even a few calories along the way!

I agree that there are remote locations that have little to no choice beyond the Kraft or other mass produced items. Some of these mail order houses with $60/lb cheeses are for the rich and famous.

Yes there is a Trader Joes near us. DW has been to it, I haven't. I will have to stop in some time and check it out, when she lets me LOL. I think she is afraid I would go nuts and buy half the store ;)

What Kraft sells is Parmesan. The point of the OP was that Parmesan is not the same as parmigiano reggiano, and that a lot of people make the mistake of thinking they are in fact the same thing.
I know the point the OP was making. I was just pointing out that the Kraft stuff isn't all that bad and that it is Parmesan and not sawdust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom