"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #21
Senior Cook

I haven't seen that, but my first thought is hmmm, another way to create more garbage. We are such a disposible society. How is the price on that disposible grinder with parm?

Old 02-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #22
Head Chef

Kraft in a box is closer to sawdust than cheese. Real Pecorino Romano and Reggiano tastes nothing like anything from the supermarket. Same goes for supermarket blues, cheddars, bries, swiss, and other cheeses. Try the real thing once and you will understand why it costs 3 times as much. And grate or slice your own. Much better taste and longer shelf life.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Kraft in a box is closer to sawdust than cheese. Real Pecorino Romano and Reggiano tastes nothing like anything from the supermarket. Same goes for supermarket blues, cheddars, bries, swiss, and other cheeses. Try the real thing once and you will understand why it costs 3 times as much. And grate or slice your own. Much better taste and longer shelf life.
The supermarket is the only place by me to get cheese.
I take it you live by a dedicated cheese shop, or do you order your cheese?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I like parm reg but its just so expensive! We can't afford to get it very often. What is the best way to store it? I remember hearing you should put it in a paper bag so that it can breathe, is that correct?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #25
Master Chef

CanadianMeg - I don't remember off the top of my pointy little head, but it wasn't cheap. And I fully agree with you about the garbage standpoint (although it might have been recyclable plastic). I just couldn't justify yet something else disposable + the fact that the hunk of cheese probably wasn't choice.

I pretty much buy whatever I can find in the markets parmesan or romano wise for everyday use. The only brand that I NEVER buy is "Stella". It's more salt than cheese.

As far as storage, I always wrap my grating cheeses in plastic wrap, otherwise they'll turn into solid rock in no time & will be virtually impossible to cut or grate.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #26
Senior Cook

When I buy parm at the store (and pacanis, I can relate to not having much other choice), it's in small triangular wedges for $12 or 13 (parm reg). Think maybe a little more than inch thick and maybe 4" long in length. It's not cheap but it's a nice treat occasionally.

Just curious from the posts here, how much are you paying for good parm and how much do you get for that price?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMeg View Post
Just curious from the posts here, how much are you paying for good parm and how much do you get for that price?
I just bought Boar's Head imported Parm. Reg. yesterday - .51 lb. for $11.72. It's delicious, but I think next time I'll get the Romano for $10.99/lb.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

I brought 5 kilos of Parm. back from Italy last summer and I sealed it in my food saver and froze it. it will keep for many months and I have found little or no difference in the texture after thawing it in the frig over night. For the piece I thawed I just use the vacuum sealer each time and it keeps forever.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I happen to like the Kraft on Pizza and I just pulled out the bottle which requires storage in the fridge and the ingredient is 100% Parmesan cheese. There are no fillers it's just grated in a different way. It's obvious that it's gotten a bad reputation but Kraft can't say what they are selling is one thing when it's not. Isn't that illegal.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #30
Master Chef

What Kraft sells is Parmesan. The point of the OP was that Parmesan is not the same as parmigiano reggiano, and that a lot of people make the mistake of thinking they are in fact the same thing.

Tags
None