"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #31
Head Chef

Pacanis. I am fortunate to live within a short distance from a wine, cheese and gourmet meat store where I can get quality cheeses at an average price of around 10 bucks a pound. Richmond also has a Fresh Market store. I don't know if it is a chain or just a couple of stores. Their produce and meat are always good, if slightly pricey. They specialize in upper end ingredients. To me, good ingredients are the key to sucessful cooking, and they really don't cost that much more.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
No, it's NOT the real deal, but there are domestic alternatives that fill the void when you don't have access to consortium cheese. IMHO, American Grana is excellent, and I recently got a Strevecchio (sp?) at a local haunt that was passable for everyday use. I have found PR at Sam's and it is NOTHING like what my dad gets at the Italian deli, so there must be an aging difference or something!

I am not sure how to classify the Kraft shaker. Is it really cheese? I mean, I know the label says it is ... but it's like comparing fresh cilantro to dried. Not the same.

Laughed at the holiday craft idea, LOL. Wouldn't they stink?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonaskitchen View Post
Just a little information about an Italian ingredient!
I know that it can sound silly, but I've read a lot of posts here, and noticed that there's a missunderstood between Parmigiano reggiano cheese and Parmesan.
They are NOT the same thing! AT ALL!
The original one is PARMIGIANO REGGIANO (Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano)
The other one is only a copy of worst quality.

If you want to eat healthier, just take a look at official site and you'll understand the difference!
Thanx, Simona
Simona, while it is true that there is no other Parmigiano Reggiano other than that made in Emilia-Romagna, all "Parmesan" is not <a copy of worst quality.>

Several artisan cheese companies in US are now making a similar cheese they can call Parmesan. These are not quite as luscious as the real P-R, but some are quite tasty, and a darn sight less expensive for everyday use.

That stuff that's more like sawdust and comes in a shaker can ..... well, I don't know what that is! but fewer and fewer Americans are falling for that stuff every day!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
No, it's NOT the real deal, but there are domestic alternatives that fill the void when you don't have access to consortium cheese. IMHO, American Grana is excellent, and I recently got a Strevecchio (sp?) at a local haunt that was passable for everyday use. I have found PR at Sam's and it is NOTHING like what my dad gets at the Italian deli, so there must be an aging difference or something!

I am not sure how to classify the Kraft shaker. Is it really cheese? I mean, I know the label says it is ... but it's like comparing fresh cilantro to dried. Not the same.

Laughed at the holiday craft idea, LOL. Wouldn't they stink?
Anna, I have also seen P-R at places like BJ's and Sams, and they always cost lots less than at the cheese shop, but they are also OLD. I can tell by the way the cheese looks. and I won't buy it. It's been sitting around, already cut, drying out. Disgusting. imho not worth what they charge for it.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #35
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Ok ok, I admit I have the 'green tube' in my fridge as well. But, I can't always afford the 'good' stuff so it is what it is. I make do as best I can, but it is hard sometimes to silence my taste buds!
Maverick - I have seen you've mentioned shopping at Aldi's as do I! There have been times I have been able to find shredded Parm cheese in the cold food section. Now, it wasn't there the last time I was in the store but I was also in a hurry so maybe I didn't look hard enough. Not sure if it is technicallyl better than the green tube but it sure does look cooler!! :)
Old 02-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #36
Master Chef

You are right, our ALDI here has started carrying some more 'exotic' cheeses in the cooler, but so far no parm, bummer.
They do have a fair selection of softer cheeses as well as some good hard block cheeses now. I will check again next time I am there. Wife likes to pick up the crumbled Gorgonzola or Blue Cheese, I like the soft cheese wheel (forget which cheese it was) with mushroom or the monteray jack with leeks.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:25 AM   #37
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Maverick - I am sort of familiar with Chicago, but not Cicero ... is there a Trader Joe's anywhere near you? They might have a domestic parm with a private label for a more reasonable price. If you find you can afford to treat yourself, you won't be sorry ... you will use less and have more flavor, saving money and even a few calories along the way!

I agree that there are remote locations that have little to no choice beyond the Kraft or other mass produced items. Some of these mail order houses with $60/lb cheeses are for the rich and famous.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #38
Master Chef

Yes there is a Trader Joes near us. DW has been to it, I haven't. I will have to stop in some time and check it out, when she lets me LOL. I think she is afraid I would go nuts and buy half the store ;)
Old 02-20-2008, 04:53 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Yes yes you must get to Trader Joe's!!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
What Kraft sells is Parmesan. The point of the OP was that Parmesan is not the same as parmigiano reggiano, and that a lot of people make the mistake of thinking they are in fact the same thing.
I know the point the OP was making. I was just pointing out that the Kraft stuff isn't all that bad and that it is Parmesan and not sawdust.

Tags
None